Contribute
Register

G5 Case Mod — GA H370M D3H GSM — i5-8500 — RX580 Pulse 8GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
This build uses system definition 2017 iMac Pro, even though the build is closer to base 2019 Retina iMac
What was the reason you picked iMac Pro ?

What was the reason you picked iMac Pro ?

I asked pastrychef which system definition I should use, I previously used 19.1. He "Felt" that iMacPro 1,1 would be the best choice for this build. Sidecar, which I don't use, might not play nice with this def, but Handoff, FaceTime and DRM will play nice. So my choice was based on what would be more useful to me.

Last edited:
Well I think I can say it's 99% complete, even the plastic side panel closes!. I was worried about that not closing as the RX 570 has the 8 pin power pointing outwards, but theres enough give in the cable to bend it round towards the back. The GFX card also stays remarkably cool with the top front fan feeding it with cold air. It's not until a game starts up that the fans start spinning. The only thing I haven't installed is the BCHmods front IO cable, Im a little unsure of where the power switch cables should go. I checked the motherboard manual and plugged in the cable, but it doesn't seem to want to switch on, or I hold the power switch and the LED comes on but goes off when I release the switch!, more research!.

Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 12.20.00 PM.png

Would I choose another G5 case again?.
Absolutely!, sure I could of gone and purchased a case from a shelf somewhere for much less than you can get a G5 case from eBay. But that's kind of missing the 'fun' the 'experience' of building your own machine and creating something different. Lessons I learned from building the budget G5 using a Dell 7010 carried over to this build, it doesn't matter if I don't have access to the rear IO, there are many right angled connections that will fit if you look. What I did cut from the G5 case is invisible and it was all cut and finished by hand, no Dremel!. The middle shelf was cut at the rear to allow room for ram and the PSU enclosure has a square cutout for the PSU to sit in and the bottom shelf hides all the wires. If you enjoy a challenge that results in a really clean build, I recommend the G5 case from 2004.

2399143B-487D-48F5-BCEE-7D0CA2698729.jpeg

Last edited:
The GFX card also stays remarkably cool with the top front fan feeding it with cold air. It's not until a game starts up that the fans start spinning.
:clap: You really learned the importance of adequate cooling with all of these builds. That's the best way, not to just read but to actually build and test things yourself. That's what you will remember longer term.

Guys we need to have a CNC to fabricate our own metal Apple looklike PC cases. Oooh I wish. Search for project Wing X99

Guys we need to have a CNC to fabricate our own metal Apple looklike PC cases. Oooh I wish. Search for project Wing X99
Or you could just purchase a G5 case for way, way less than it would cost to buy a CNC and the metal to fabricate your own 'look-a-like'.

Last edited:
Front IO Power Switch, LED and USB3 working!. I needed a jumper which wasn't included in my kit. But amongst the many, many cables I've collected I found the right candidate, the red wire. Attached one end to PW- and the other to FW GND.
The only thing is that the LED stays on even when the Hacintosh is shutdown. It powers off when I switch the PSU off, as does the Fenvi. One push powers on, pushing again shuts it down and holding the power button for longer than three seconds restarts it.

Updated. A brilliantly simple solution to the constantly on LED. The green circle is the pin for the 'Hard Drive Activity LED', putting the power LED there doesn't flash when there's activity. Thanks @PeterFalth for that piece of genius!.

FrontIO.png
Jumper.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.12.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 11.10.34 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 9.25.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 9.25.56 AM.png
    373.4 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Successfully updated to macOS Catalina 10.5.4. Clover boots much faster now, seemed a little sluggish on 5002, 5007 is really quick.

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 12.52.08 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back