Contribute
Register

[WIP] Dell Optiplex 7040 MT (Q170-Skylake)—i5-6600—OC Big Sur

Status
Not open for further replies.
Created a 3D template for the front panel on the 5040 MT Case. I'm going to be reusing the power switch on the front panel, I created a small hole for the LED and four USB slots.

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 8.25.55 PM.png
4327E54F-E69D-453D-9189-04355DDBE826.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 8.27.58 PM.png
86AF91B5-587D-44BC-B034-E8ADDDF76D75.jpeg

Last edited:
Not the quietest Tt I own but definitely the coolest, with idle temps sitting between low 20s and 30 C.

IMG_3667.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 7.05.26 AM.png

Fitted my RX560 OC 4G today, everything is happy running off a 180W, despite the back of the box suggesting 400W!. Either way I like the fact the graphics card is the right way up, despite being upside down, but at least you can read it. This card will be moved to another build when a cable arrives, but for now everything is working and I have a budget game machine.

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 10.21.46 AM.png

IMG_4079.jpeg

Fitted my RX560 OC 4G today, everything is happy running off a 180W, despite the back of the box suggesting 400W!
This is because the RX 560 never draws more than 75 W of power from the PCIe slot. The other thing that applies, the Dell PSU's are very high quality and generally under estimate wattage maximums. OTOH there are a lot of cheap PSUs that claim to be 400 or 500W that really aren't capable of those estimates. This may be why the GPU makers over estimate the minimum wattage required.

This is because the RX 560 never draws more than 75 W of power from the PCIe slot. The other thing that applies, the Dell PSU's are very high quality and generally under estimate wattage maximums.

Yes!, as we know I'm a huge fan of Dell PSUs, my G5 had one and was very happy. I also like how the PSU fits inside this case, the PSU enclosure slots onto the back and locks in place with one of those useful Dell tab with the blue sticker, and is secured by three screws on the back, it just seems to float there. Good case!.

as we know I'm a huge fan of Dell PSUs, my G5 had one and was very happy.
With the recent supply shortage of new PSUs many of the 400-500W "junk" models have gone way up in price lately. I bought a refurb 290W Gold rated Dell PSU (Delta made) for $11.99 that's in perfect condition. Quiet fan and no coil whine either. The reason they cost so little is that the main power connector is 8 pin and you can't adapt it back to 24 pin. So it only works with Dell motherboards. One YT channel shows that it's even possible to game (AAA gaming) with an overclocked GTX 1060 6GB and it has no problems whatsoever in an Optiplex MT. These are the same PSU's Dell puts in their Precision servers designed for 24/7 operation.

20200822_100300.jpg

The average selling price of these Delta 80+ Gold models is in about the 17 dollar range.

Be careful though because Dell also used other manufacturers and some are only Bronze rated that go for around the same price as these do.

Here's the 365W version with 18A on the +12VB rail. Dell puts them in their T1700 servers. These could handle most higher end graphics cards like a RX 580 or an RX 5600 XT with no problems.

Screen Shot 15.jpg

Last edited:
IF!, I chose to fit my RX 570, could I use two Dell PSU, one for the board and one for graphics?. It would still work out cheaper than a new 400W PSU!.

IF!, I chose to fit my RX 570, could I use two Dell PSU, one for the board and one for graphics?. It would still work out cheaper than a new 400W PSU!.
That would be overkill. You could use just one 290W Gold rated. I don't think you'd want to plug the 8pin meant for the mainboard into the graphics card's 8 pin power anyway. Believe they are wired differently. Just checked my GB RX 570 and it's not possible anyway, doesn't fit the connector.

Last edited:
I chose to fit my RX 570
You could upgrade to this 240W Platinum rated PSU. Use a couple of SATA power connectors to feed the 8 pin on the 570.

I'm about keeping my NVMe drives cool at the moment, after purchasing the Inateck M.2 PCIe adapter, which you can read about in the 'Deals of the Day' thread, I wondered what other options there are for the NVMe in the M.2 slot.
One option was this tiny piece of Graphene coated piece of copper found on Amazon for $9, I didn't think Graphene was available in consumer products yet!, but I must be mistaken. Simply peel off the plastic covering the very sticky heat transfer pad and put it on top of your NVMe, it will stick very securely!.

IMG_4108.jpg
IMG_4110.jpg

I have macOS installed on a HP EX920 which is fitted to the Inateck PCIe adapter in the X4 slot. Below the can clearly see the temp differences between the EX920 w/adapter and the HP EX900 w/ no adapter, about 20 C difference.

Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 9.08.38 PM.png

With the IcePC Heatsink attached, we can see that temperature has dropped by 5 C.

Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 9.33.03 PM.png

Below is my Windows desktop, using CrystalDisk Info and Mark, the temp on the HP EX900 hit an eye watering 68 C without the heatsink, alarm bells!.

Capture.PNG

With the heatsink in topped out at 57 C, not bad!.

Capture2.PNG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back