Contribute
Register

[WIP] Dell Optiplex 7040 MT (Q170-Skylake)—i5-6600—OC Big Sur

Status
Not open for further replies.
3.3 GB/s read speeds ! What will you do with all that performance ? Very good deal on the NVME SSD.
It’s purpose is to host my growing collection of games. The debate happening in my head right now is, should I install it in the G5 and host those games on a 24” screen. Or, keep it here and host the same games on a 42” TV, a PC console!.

The OptiPlex 5040 MT case arrived!. After struggling to open it, (a panel has to be lifted up), I finally got a look inside. There's a lot that could be removed, not sure I'll be needing all those drive bays. No problem with motherboard alignment all standoffs and holes are in the right place, though the standoffs for the CPU cooler are raised so I can't use Intels stock cooler, but I have a spare Dell one to use.

4C882450-CF8D-4061-A1A8-D60D764053FD.jpeg

Got BT working!. Thanks in two ways, to @BillyGoatGruff!. The replacement cable you sent is perfect, though you'll probably notice it isn't attached to the internal USB header. It's currently connected via external USB using a cable you posted about in the 7020/9020 threads. You'll also notice, that yes that is a Dell 7010 cpu cooler mounted onto the processor, does mean you can't fully close it though!.

IMG_3613.JPG

IMG_3615.JPG

IMG_3616.JPG

IMG_3617.PNG

You'll also notice, that yes that is a Dell 7010 cpu cooler mounted onto the processor, does mean you can't fully close it though!.
Since the board's CPU fan header is standard 4 pin how did you make the 5 pin 7010 fan work on that ? Do you still get the PWM fan control ?

These Thermaltake 4 pin PWM fan Coolers would get the job done nicely for an i5. Price is reasonable at 18 USD on Newegg. If using the OEM Dell cases 5040/7040 you wouldn't need the provided back plate to install it.

https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-clp0556-b/p/N82E16835106236

1597157337094.png

Last edited:
Since the board's CPU fan header is standard 4 pin how did you make the 5 pin 7010 fan work on that ? Do you still get the PWM fan control ?

These Thermaltake 4 pin PWM fan Coolers would get the job done nicely for an i5. Price is reasonable at 18 USD on Newegg.

https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-clp0556-b/p/N82E16835106236

Wow that's a good price for that fan!, thanks. I like Tt cpu coolers I have the same one installed in G5 Sapphire and performs brilliantly. You're correct about the 7010 5 pin, so the empty pin overhangs the mobo connection which is 4 pin. Currently looking at PWM control, not entirely sure. After googling USB headers, I found the right connection, works great!.

Edit; pretty sure there is no PWM, shutting it down!.

IMG_3619.JPG
IMG_3621.JPG

I like Tt cpu coolers I have the same one installed in G5 Sapphire and performs brilliantly.
I've used them on a few builds that I've since sold as Windows PCs but they always seemed to be really quiet and have good price for performance. Not sure how well they'd cool an i7 but if you don't push it too hard it would work just fine.

This Tt works brilliantly too!, it also doesn't interfere with the air being drawn by the rear case fan. This will be it's temporary home until a new cpu cooler has been decided upon. I was also looking at a Noctua NH-D9L, Premium CPU Cooler, it's 110 mm high, that would improve air flow dramatically!.

IMG_3622.JPG

This Tt works brilliantly too!, it also doesn't interfere with the air being drawn by the rear case fan.
Those are designed to work in server boxes. Built quite solidly. They'll hold up even with 24/7 usage for years at a time.

Spent an hour removing hd cages inside the 5040 MT, much more space and room inside!. Pretty straight forward, the front panel that opens outwards is attached by 4 hex screws, two on the outside and two on the inside. Then using a 5mm bit I drilled out the rivets which were on the side and front. Putting the panel back together was easy enough and opens and closes easily.

IMG_3629.jpg

IMG_3624.JPG
IMG_3626.JPG
IMG_3627.JPG
IMG_3628.JPG
IMG_3630.jpg
IMG_3634.JPG

IMG_3632.jpg

Now that the HD cages are removed I can cut out the side panel to create a space for a window. I hand cut it with tin snips, very to cut but watch out for those sharp edges, blue painters tape to protect fingers and wires. I’ll file off the edges to clean it up.

1BD09594-3C03-42F0-9A0E-6FDC5B8E1358.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back