Contribute
Register

[WIP] 2006 20" iMac Intel case mod.

Quite a journey now tho, enjoyed reading the thread - luck seems to have been on your side so far (it favours the brave).
Thank you Sir Soph!. Talk of chins, Saffron yellow and a very untidy desk have encouraged me to admit, I've hit the proverbial brick wall. But I will not let that discourage me in my quest to mod my 2006 intel core 2 duo iMac.
I haven't yet got a screen for the 7050 AIO, though it spins up as it should, no image from the DP port or my favored Mini Cube method!. The G3 HP prodesk posted BIOS but kept displaying a battery message, upon checking the cell battery I immediately broke it. So my issue is I guess, I lack a suitable motherboard.

Apart from those small issues, I do believe yellow is the future, no more beige, black or white cases for me.

Apart from those small issues, I do believe yellow is the future, no more beige, black or white cases for me.
Im sure you can pull it off. Ive made a thing of the fact that there's not many people that can pull off wearing yellow. I've explained this a few times and generally get at least a smile when I point out I'm one of them. The purple one prompted my daughter to ask if she might get her inheritance early.

I do believe yellow is the future, no more beige, black or white cases for me.
What's the latest plan for your Mellow Yellow iMac ?

What's the latest plan for your Mellow Yellow iMac ?
Here's a mood board!. Hardware wise the Dell 7050 micro won't deliver a screen through DP, I'm assuming I'll have to get it connected to a flat screen to check which will mean connecting the LCD driver controller board. Ill order the Saffron PLA, take apart the iMac and look at the frame and then start printing case parts. I'm thinking of mounting the hardware behind the monitor and eliminating the chin.

Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 9.44.32 AM.png

I'm thinking of mounting the hardware behind the monitor and eliminating the chin.
Then get hired by Apple and teach them how to do this ?

They might object to my mood board!. have you seen this?.
As someone who bought an original eMac - and loved it - I'd be happy to have another and see it updated. I wouldn't water-cool though. :thumbup:

As someone who bought an original eMac - and loved it - I'd be happy to have another and see it updated. I wouldn't water-cool though. :thumbup:
I also owned an eMac, ran OSX Tiger really well. Talking of luck @trs96, I got the eMac from eBay, came in an extremely big box!. Those eMacs were known for blowing capacitors, which meant replacing the motherboard!. A very expensive undertaking. Mine came with blown capacitors but, a call to Apple care with out of date warranty info in hand, I explained my tale of sadness. They offered to replace the motherboard for... guess?.

The chosen motherboard!, an ASUS Prime A320I-K!. WHY!. Several reasons, number one, success with Snow Flake, my 1st Ryzentosh, quick and painless installation. Number 2, news that the latest BIOS release from Gigabyte and others would expand the AM4 sockets support list to include Ryzen 5000 processors, nice!. Number 3, I read on the Web that someone had successfully installed macOS Monterey on their A320I-K with OC, but I couldn't find much support for it here. So naturally I thought, I'm going to get one!. And it's small, 170mm x 170mm.

A320I-K.png

Last edited:
Back