Contribute
Register

[WIP] 2006 20" iMac Intel case mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search the HP website for the specific model you have. Even though the 7650a is on the whitelist I don't believe it is macOS Mojave or Catalina compatible. Of course, works with Windows.
understand. i did manage to the 7650a running in High Sierra but with buffering issues. it still looks way better than the onboard graphics and it doesn't overscan on my display.

Things I purchased for my iMac Hackintosh. I already own an i5-3475S but I haven't bought the cpu cooler, looking at the service map for the HP8300 AIO motherboard its very similar to the Dell cooler thats in the Inspirion 2020. We will check and see when it arrives, especially if it will fit in the iMac case, theres quite a lot of room in there.

I chose the same graphics card as trs96 in his HP8300 USDT thread, theres room for two of these cards.

I hope I bought the right Ram, the motherboard supports up to 16 GB.

In the iMac the PSU is mounted top left inside the case. I can remove the PSU enclosure for the HP and hopefully mount it to the case.

I chose a Samsung mSATA, small capacity I'm not worried about storage space, I may still be able to keep the HDD inside.
did you manage to get the amd 7650a fully functional?

did you manage to get the amd 7650a fully functional?

Hi. No not yet!, this project has been pushed back a little, I still need coolers for the CPU and AMD7650a. Over the next few weeks i will gather the remaining parts and see what happens.

Hi. No not yet!, this project has been pushed back a little, I still need coolers for the CPU and AMD7650a. Over the next few weeks i will gather the remaining parts and see what happens.
ah got it. i managed to get high sierra running but with buffering issues. no catalina or mojave at the moment. please keep me updated on your project.

Just wanted to share this, I’m not sure if this is how it works, so I apologize if this is known. Yesterday I was putting the 2006 iMac back together and I wanted to try an mSATA SSD intending to fresh install Snow Leopard. Instead Windows 10 booted without any help from me. Admittedly the Windows 10 experience on a 2006 iMac isn’t great!, but the fact that it worked surprised me.
93444F71-7E63-4BBF-A7E0-58B26B5574C9.jpeg

This is very exciting!, this arrived!. An LCD driver controller board kit for the the iMac. I have no clue how to install this or what needs connecting to what!, I recognize the board on the left and the LVDS cable. All the buttons on the right are new to me, hope I don’t blow it up!.

6035CF1A-ED5A-4822-8846-756F33B318D5.jpeg

@craighazan how's things coming along?
Very slowly. I haven't paid much attention to this mod recently, the priorities are getting the AMD G5 up, but Im waiting on the public release of Big Sur, attempts and failures have already started. The Mac mini I really want to finish off too, just the case to do. The iMac needs to stripped out to the frame, but I haven't really decided on the motherboard yet. I'm wondering if an eGPU could could connect between the motherboard and video controller board, is that possible?.

Currently researching candidate motherboards for my future mod project, Optiplex 7050 micro and HP EliteDesk 800 G3 mini, manuals attached below. My recent experience with the Mac mini and specifically the H110MSTX motherboard and RS53R cable, have introduced new ideas that I would like to expand on in this mod. I suppose my main question is, and perhaps @phunguss might have an idea. We already know that we can attach an RX560 via a RS53R into a M.2 Mini PCIe WLAN connector, can then that be connected to the LCD controller board and the display?.

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 11.28.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 11.28.25 PM.png

Attachments

• c05381695.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 62
  • optiplex-7050-desktop_owners-manual_en-us.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 74
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back