5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Classic
  3. iMac
  4. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have had this G5 sitting around for a while, so time to get started. I am attempting a Mini-ITX motherboard (Asus Q87T with i7-4790) and the MacTester57 / Kiwi SMC Kit V1.0 on this one. No formal fitting yet, just a rough layout and some parts on order. The back panel ports should all work including Firewire 400 (tested in Mojave and working), with the only replacement being the old Mac video port converted to Mini-DP. The DVD drive will not be used, instead a 27-in-1 card reader and dual USB3.0 ports will replace it. Using original screen (TMDS converted to HDMI), original PSU, original speakers. The CPU cooler is the Intel Thermal Solution HTS1155LP (entire motherboard and cooler at 1.0" inches of depth)

IMG_0382s.jpg

MacTester57 / Kiwi's SMC V1.0 in progress:
IMG_0381s.jpg

Firewire 400 tested and working in iMovie

IMG_0377s.jpg

The ever so slight mod of the back panel ports:

Removing the original video port, it was merely surface mount soldered and epoxied on. It simply snapped off.
IMG_0385s.jpg

Using my favorite nibbing tool, I cut a notch in the motherboard.
IMG_0402s.jpg

Original (bottom) vs replacement (top)...
IMG_0388s.jpg

Of course its not a Hackintosh if you don't hack anything... so I hacked up the Mini-DP until it fit.
IMG_0405s.jpg

Final result:
IMG_0397s.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0388s.jpg
    IMG_0388s.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 46
Hello, I am doing almost the same thing, but I would like to know where you got the Mactester smc from and how I can get it. it's possible?

Hello, I am doing almost the same thing, but I would like to know where you got the Mactester smc from and how I can get it. it's possible?
Its posted as a zip file on the bottom of the first post of this thread
MacTester57 SMC Kit 1.0

Download, find a place to print the board for you, buy the parts, solder it together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back