Contribute
Register

WindowServer memory leak on High Sierra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am however having issues with Adobe apps. For instance Photoshop often doesn't refresh your design until you zoom or do some other redraw action. So you'll do an adjustment layer and nothing will change.

Tested nvidia web driver 161 and the memory leak was solved, but windowserver goes above 200mb. With 106 version never goes up 140mb. This is not a big problem but I think that something abnormal is happening I also noted some litle lags when opening effects windwos like launchpad etc. I went back to 106 driver version and the system fluidity is noticeable better. I will stay on 106 version.

I think that in idle or just seen desktop and opening launchapad, finder and having more than 200 mb in windowserver is amalfunction, more than 500 mb is a problem and more than 1 gb really need solution. Should try older versions of the nvidia web driver.

Last edited:
SOLVED: I think is an nvidia driver problem. Unistalled 387.10.10.10.25.158 (using nvidia driver manager, AlinPopa) and used nvidia-update https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvidia-update-simple-way-to-install-nvidia-web-drivers.244987/ .It installed 378.10.10.10.25.106 and no more windowserver memory leak, process remain around 64mb since last boot.

Edit: After reboot everything os Ok, no more lags using the system and windowserver process is under 80mb instead the second per second incremental of ram use until reaching more than 10gb making unstable and force me to restart. Now the 16gb of ddr4 feels like that.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

I JUST bought a brand new Hackintosh with i7-7700k/64GB RAM/960 EVO/1060 6GB… and I was noticing some very obvious lag in the UI way too frequently. It was choppier and laggier than my 7 year old Hack. I was having buyer's remorse not even 24 hours after buying the hardware because the performance was very lacklustre.

Rolled back to .106 and everything is amazing now. Thank you thank you thank you.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

I JUST bought a brand new Hackintosh with i7-7700k/64GB RAM/960 EVO/1060 6GB… and I was noticing some very obvious lag in the UI way too frequently. It was choppier and laggier than my 7 year old Hack. I was having buyer's remorse not even 24 hours after buying the hardware because the performance was very lacklustre.

Rolled back to .106 and everything is amazing now. Thank you thank you thank you.

jajaja, buyer's remorse, that make me laugh. Don´t be afraid of testing, hackintosh is not for just assemble, installing and play. Do like me, I have two 160gb spare hdds, taken from old laptops, that size is easy to erase, format etc. I installed Osx in one drive and the other is for time machine. I think I maked abouth 5 clean installations before I learn what settings works. So yes this is a challenge of patience.
Once I feel everything is working near 100% I will move to a SSD that I do not use for testing because sdds drives are susceptible to hard reset or power off, power disconnection etc, and that is something we have to do durin testing.

has anyone tried the roll back on 10.13.4 with the 387.10.10.10.30.103 ?, I am still getting lag, seems the new drivers do not address the newer CPU's.

Using the latest NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext has solved this problem for me..
look for version 1.2.5

This problem still exists in 10.13.6 with Nvidia driver 387.10.10.10.40.105

A quick way to reproduce: keep resizing the Activity Monitor window for a few seconds and watch the 'Real Memory' column value grow by GBs for WindowServer process.

Instead of logout/login, simply switch the Display resolution "Scaled" setting to reclaim the memory.

Searching for a solution...

[hardware: EVGA GeForce GTX 970, GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H, Intel i7-4790K]
[kext running: Lilu.kext (1.2.7), AppleALC.kext (1.3.2), WhateverGreen.kext (1.2.3)]

Last edited:
This problem still exists in 10.13.6 with Nvidia driver 387.10.10.10.40.105

A quick way to reproduce: keep resizing the Activity Monitor window for a few seconds and watch the 'Real Memory' column value grow by GBs for WindowServer process.

I tried to recreate this issue but I cannot. I resized the window multiple times and watched the "real" memory go up AND down depending on the size of the window. Using the same OS version and nVidia driver version as your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back