Contribute
Register

Windows partition breaks Yosemite boot partition - How to restore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97-D3H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 750 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. Mac Pro
Hi guys,

I have a working Yosemite (Hackintosh) system on an SSD, and I decided I wanted to make it dual-bootable into Windows. I reduced the Yosemite partition and created a windows partition, that I then installed Windows 7 onto via DVD. The trouble was, that I could now no longer boot into my Yosemite system. I now realise that the Windows install has somehow reset the main bootloader on the SSD, making it no longer bootable in OSX.

To try and remedy this, I put the SSD into my old Mac Pro and wiped the Windows partition and reset the Yosemite one (to its original size). The SSD still does not boot up, as it seems the master boot record for the drive is now changed.

My question is: how to I recover my original Yosemite system without wiping it and starting again? (All the files remain intact on the drive).

I need a quick fix ideally - is there a simple way to reset the bootloader to automatically 'point' to the original Yosemite system?

Thanks!

MBG.

Hi guys,

I have a working Yosemite (Hackintosh) system on an SSD, and I decided I wanted to make it dual-bootable into Windows. I reduced the Yosemite partition and created a windows partition, that I then installed Windows 7 onto via DVD. The trouble was, that I could now no longer boot into my Yosemite system. I now realise that the Windows install has somehow reset the main bootloader on the SSD, making it no longer bootable in OSX.

To try and remedy this, I put the SSD into my old Mac Pro and wiped the Windows partition and reset the Yosemite one (to its original size). The SSD still does not boot up, as it seems the master boot record for the drive is now changed.

My question is: how to I recover my original Yosemite system without wiping it and starting again? (All the files remain intact on the drive).

I need a quick fix ideally - is there a simple way to reset the bootloader to automatically 'point' to the original Yosemite system?

Thanks!

MBG.

What is your boot loader? Chimera? Clover?
You say you shrank your OS X partition and installed Windows. Did you format the partition in OS X disk utility or use the Windows installer? Windows installed UEFI or Legacy mode?

For now, just boot with your UniBeast USB or recovery USB and re-install the boot loader.

Hi GB, thanks for the response. To answer your questions: I used Unibeast originally (Clover I think?), and to partition the drive I used OS X Disk Utility.

After a few hours, I eventually realised to do what you suggested, and reinstalled the bootloader using Unibeast again. I had a kernel panic the first time it started up(?), but its been fine ever since without further intervention.

I gather from these forums that multi-booting from the same drive is not as straightforward as installing Bootcamp, so I've decided to leave my Yosemite drive intact and will wipe a separate drive for the Windows install.

Meanwhile, I've encountered another problem, this time GPU related on this thread:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...-install-loading-problems-61.html#post1232296

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,

MBG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back