Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Legacy - Windows overwritten Clover bootloader on one HDD

Hello there,

I have one disk with OS X El Capitan and Windows 10. When I start computer it boots directly to Windows instead Clover (boot broke after installing Windows).

Disk uses hybrid GPT. Both Windows and Clover are installed in legacy mode.

I am able to boot OS X using USB created with UniBeast and tried reinstalling most recent version of Clover with MultiBeast and also clean Clover package but without luck.

Question: How can I make Clover primary boot manager again? Is it possible without reinstalling both systems?

There are many similar topics, but I couldn't find a clear solution for strictly legacy system like mine. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello there,

I have one disk with OS X El Capitan and Windows 10. When I start computer it boots directly to Windows instead Clover (boot broke after installing Windows).

Disk uses hybrid GPT. Both Windows and Clover are installed in legacy mode.

I am able to boot OS X using USB created with UniBeast and tried reinstalling most recent version of Clover with MultiBeast and also clean Clover package but without luck.

Question: How can I make Clover primary boot manager again? Is it possible without reinstalling both systems?

There are many similar topics, but I couldn't find a clear solution for strictly legacy system like mine. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
First thing to do is mount your EFI partition, and show all files either through terminal command or ShowAllFIles app. Delete any files found in the EFI partition.

Then follow step 6 of http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-el-capitan-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html to install Clover Legacy-root mode.

Thanks for reply! I've just cleaned EFI partition and installed Clover Legacy-root mode, but it still boots to Windows.

Edit: I've checked EFI partition after installing Clover and now it's empty (besides spotlight and trash hidden folders). It looks like it didn't install properly.

Thanks for reply! I've just cleaned EFI partition and installed Clover Legacy-root mode, but it still boots to Windows.

Edit: I've checked EFI partition after installing Clover and now it's empty (besides spotlight and trash hidden folders). It looks like it didn't install properly.

Installing Legacy root there should be absolutely nothing in the EFI partition (I realize if you ever opened it in Finder there will be the trashes files - no worry there, makes no difference).
What folders do you see in your OS X root?

I've been using EFI partition back when OS X was the only system on that HDD so I thought it was something bad that it was empty :)

Back to your question - these are the folders in OS X root (as listed with ls -d */):

Applications
Network
bin
home
tmp
EFI-Backups
System
cores
net
usr
EFI
Users
dev
private
var
Library
Volumes
etc
sbin

I've been using EFI partition back when OS X was the only system on that HDD so I thought it was something bad that it was empty :)

Back to your question - these are the folders in OS X root (as listed with ls -d */):

Applications/ Network/ bin/ home/ tmp/
EFI-Backups/ System/ cores/ net/ usr/
EFI/ Users/ dev/ private/ var/
Library/ Volumes/ etc/ sbin/

Folder will be in root with
Applications
Library
System
User Information
Users

there will be no prefix to the folder name.

Sorry for confusion - I edited my previous post. Prefix was added by "ls -d */" command in terminal, but these are all folders in OS X root including hidden ones.

Sorry for confusion - I edited my previous post. Prefix was added by "ls -d */" command in terminal, but these are all folders in OS X root including hidden ones.

This is a pic of my system - yours should match if you installed Clover Legacy-root:
Screen Shot 2016-01-09 at 9.15.09 AM.jpg

I confirm it's the same.

Zrzut ekranu 2016-01-09 o 18.20.12.pngZrzut ekranu 2016-01-09 o 18.20.19.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back