i7-8700K
Graphics
RX570
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi.
It took me a while (about 2 years) but I finally got macOS (Catalina) working flawlessly on my hackintosh thanks to this forum. Problem is since this week I can't see nor boot Windows 10 or Ubuntu (20.04) if my macOS 2.5" SATA SSD is connected It no longer appears either in Clover or in the UEFI menu of the machine. If I disconnect the macOS SSD, the m.2 SSD Windows and Linux are installed on seems to work again, and if I reconnect it I can only see and boot macOS. I doubt it's what's causing the issue as I never used it after creating it but it started when I created an USB drive for macOS Big Sur Developer Beta 2. I took great care to format the USB and nothing else and used the createinstallmedia command in the terminal. In fact, I can still see the contents of my Windows install drive from macOS. Reinstalling Windows wasn't an option either, as the installation process failed every time I tried.
I got everything working again yesterday, but this morning I could no longer launch Clover, hence I couldn't launch macOS. As soon as I reinstalled Clover and the kexts for my machine, I could boot macOS again but Windows and Ubuntu disappeared again. I'm thinking of putting my macOS SSD in an external USB enclosure so I don't have to open my PC every time I switch OSes but that's obviously not a solution.

If anyone can help, thanks in advance.

Try OpenCore :)

Thanks but I don't think it's the issue, as I said Windows and Linux disappear from Clover, but also from the BIOS itelf. I don't think Opencore can do something about that.

Thanks but I don't think it's the issue, as I said Windows and Linux disappear from Clover, but also from the BIOS itelf. I don't think Opencore can do something about that.
Suggest you boot to the BIOS and reset to optimum default with the Win10 drive first in BBS boot order, save&exit continue boot to Win10. Reboot to Win10 one time.
Boot to BIOS and change all settings needed for Mac OS, save&exit continue boot, F12 to select a boot device and choose Linux drive to boot. Continue. If it boots OK,
Reboot, F12 to select a boot device and choose Mac OS drive to boot. Continue. If it boots OK,
Reboot to BIOS and set Mac OS drive with Clover as first in BBS boot order, save&exit continue boot, choose an OS to boot at Clover pick screen. Does it boot OK? Check the other OS icons for boot functionality.

Last edited:
Suggest you boot to the BIOS and reset to optium default with the Win10 drive first in BBS boot order, save&exit continue boot to Win10. Reboot to Win10 one time.
Boot to BIOS and change all settings needed for Mac OS, save&exit continue boot, F12 to select a boot device and choose Linux drive to boot. Continue. If it boots OK,
Reboot, F12 to select a boot device and choose Mac OS drive to boot. Continue. If it boots OK,
Reboot to BIOS and set Mac OS drive with Clover as first in BBS boot order, save&exit continue boot, choose an OS to boot at Clover pick screen. Does it boot OK? Check the other OS icons for boot functionality.

I was almost going to tell you i already did that but it didn't work. I can see myself in the BIOS resetting the settings. Maybe I then forgot to save changes with F10.
Anyway so far it's working following your advice. Reinstalling Ubuntu now, it seems the previous Windows install was somehow corrupted, I just reinstalled and was able to reboot twice.

THANK YOU for your advice!

OK I spoke too fast. After installing Ubuntu I rebooted once more, then put Clover as the first boot priority, I got an error message for a second, which launched GRUB. Just like last week my Clover is corrupted again. I still can boot macOS from the USB installer, by selecting my macOS installation from the hard drive.

But I think I finally figured out why my OSes installs would go corrupt. I noticed they're all on my macOS 2.5" SSD, while I wanted them on my m.2, where I chose to install them. I didn't understand but when I mounted my macOS EFI partition, I saw the 3 bootloaders were there, in the EFI folder inside. What can I do? Would creating an EFI partition on my m.2 and copying Windows's and Ubuntu's bootloaders there solve the issue?

OK I spoke too fast. After installing Ubuntu I rebooted once more, then put Clover as the first boot priority, I got an error message for a second, which launched GRUB. Just like last week my Clover is corrupted again. I still can boot macOS from the USB installer, by selecting my macOS installation from the hard drive.

But I think I finally figured out why my OSes installs would go corrupt. I noticed they're all on my macOS 2.5" SSD, while I wanted them on my m.2, where I chose to install them. I didn't understand but when I mounted my macOS EFI partition, I saw the 3 bootloaders were there, in the EFI folder inside. What can I do? Would creating an EFI partition on my m.2 and copying Windows's and Ubuntu's bootloaders there solve the issue?
This is why it is recommended to only have the single target drive connected when installing an OS, disconnecting all other drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back