Contribute
Register

Windows IS Being Stubborn!!!! Wont Let Me Install In Legacy mode!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI X99S SLI Plus
CPU
i7-5820K
Graphics
GTX 980
So. I had a happy dual boot system (some kinks on the mac side) and in the process of fixing kinks on the mac side... I sorta ruined my windows install. So I started again. And I have been having the hardest time getting chimera to notice my windows install. I believe this is because windows keeps going into UEFI mode! Partition manager shows my disk broken into 3 pieces... I believe I am looking for System reserved + data. So... Yah.

My motherboard has secure boot, any windows 8.1, settings installed and PCI is not in RAID or ICP configuration. Under boot options i can only set it to UEFI + Legacy, or UEFI... It won't let it be easy. It is currently in UEFI + Legacy.

I have been using the command prompt on my install disk to format the disk and try again each time with no luck (this time I temporarily removed other drives to prevent another accident). SO! I need to install windows in Legacy mode... But I Cant......

So currently I did the part int the tutorial below.. Where they formatted the hard drive. And I tried to install windows windows says "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has MBR partition table. Of EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.
http://www.intowindows.com/install-windows-10-from-usb-drive/
I have also tried the command prompt commands with their more thurogh clean method (took like an hours) and a format that didnt have "fast written in it" . No luck.

So. I had a happy dual boot system (some kinks on the mac side) and in the process of fixing kinks on the mac side... I sorta ruined my windows install. So I started again. And I have been having the hardest time getting chimera to notice my windows install. I believe this is because windows keeps going into UEFI mode! Partition manager shows my disk broken into 3 pieces... I believe I am looking for System reserved + data. So... Yah.

My motherboard has secure boot, any windows 8.1, settings installed and PCI is not in RAID or ICP configuration. Under boot options i can only set it to UEFI + Legacy, or UEFI... It won't let it be easy. It is currently in UEFI + Legacy.

I have been using the command prompt on my install disk to format the disk and try again each time with no luck (this time I temporarily removed other drives to prevent another accident). SO! I need to install windows in Legacy mode... But I Cant......

So currently I did the part int the tutorial below.. Where they formatted the hard drive. And I tried to install windows windows says "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has MBR partition table. Of EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.
http://www.intowindows.com/install-windows-10-from-usb-drive/
I have also tried the command prompt commands with their more thurogh clean method (took like an hours) and a format that didnt have "fast written in it" . No luck.
Boot system holding down hotkey that enables you to select a boot device. Windows installer will show up twice - once as USB: Windows 8 installer, once as UEFI USB: Windows 8 installer or something similar.
Select the one without the UEFI and boot from it.
One way to force Legacy boot mode and eliminate the Systm Reserved partition is to preformat the drive MBR/NTFS single partition with your favorite disk management tool. Then install on that partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back