Dell Inspiron 5379 2-in-1
CPU
Intel i5 8250u
Graphics
Intel UHD 620 (1920x1080)
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
So I have my hackintosh up and running perfectly in a dual boot with windows 10 and the following hardware:
  • Mobo: Asus z170 Pro Gaming
  • CPU: 6600k
  • GPU: nVidia gtx1080
  • Ram: 32gb
My issue is: windows is installed on an NVme drive and while the drive is detected in disk utility, I always seem to get an error saying the drive could not be read on every boot. Additionally, disk utility detects the drive as a "FAT" partition, not a NTFS one.

Secondly, my storage drive, also formatted in NTFS in windows is again detected, but none of the volumes are mountable and osx seems to think the drive is "damaged", whereas in Windows, the drive operates perfectly normally.

Any ideas or otherwise?

Please let me know if there is any other troubleshooting files you may require.

Secondly, my storage drive, also formatted in NTFS in windows is again detected, but none of the volumes are mountable and osx seems to think the drive is "damaged", whereas in Windows, the drive operates perfectly normally.
Are these drives partitioned with 'MBR' partition table or 'GPT'?

Are these drives partitioned with 'MBR' partition table or 'GPT'?

Sorry for the late reply, I was writing exams. They're both in GPT

Sorry for the late reply, I was writing exams. They're both in GPT

Hmmm. Check the NVme drive with Disk Utility again because you might find the usually hidden EFI partition is actually the first one - if you installed macOS before Windows on the same drive. (disk0s1 , disk0s2 etc). The EFI partition is in an MS-DOS format - so FAT.

The next partition along should be the macOS one, but may not be.

If Windows is on a different physical drive all this doesn't necessarily apply.

As for NTFS drives not appearing as mountable. What type of drives are they? HDs in USB caddies? Or something else. As @vulgo says, the way the NTFS drive is partitioned might have some bearing. If memory serves me correctly Windows boot drives are usually in the MBR scheme and Apple OS X or macOS in the GPT. That could be affecting mountability. Things change I suppose.

:)

Hmmm. Check the NVme drive with Disk Utility again because you might find the usually hidden EFI partition is actually the first one - if you installed macOS before Windows on the same drive. (disk0s1 , disk0s2 etc). The EFI partition is in an MS-DOS format - so FAT.

The next partition along should be the macOS one, but may not be.

If Windows is on a different physical drive all this doesn't necessarily apply.

As for NTFS drives not appearing as mountable. What type of drives are they? HDs in USB caddies? Or something else. As @vulgo says, the way the NTFS drive is partitioned might have some bearing. If memory serves me correctly Windows boot drives are usually in the MBR scheme and Apple OS X or macOS in the GPT. That could be affecting mountability. Things change I suppose.

:)

Thanks for the response.

It's really strange. Every time I boot I get the error stating that a drive is not mountable. If you look at the screenshots, all the drives are detected, but nothing is mountable. The windows one is showing up as a Fat partition as well, no NTFS as usual.

The 3TB drive is storage simply installed via SATA direct to the Mobo. Nothing is connected in any funky ways. In fact my external drive when connected to the USB 3.1 port on the motherboard is detected, mounted and opened immediately.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 23.10.18.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 23.10.18.png
    82.3 KB · Views: 145
  • Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 23.11.50.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 23.11.50.png
    100.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 23.12.00.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 23.12.00.png
    107.3 KB · Views: 149
Thanks for the response.

It's really strange. Every time I boot I get the error stating that a drive is not mountable. If you look at the screenshots, all the drives are detected, but nothing is mountable. The windows one is showing up as a Fat partition as well, no NTFS as usual.

The 3TB drive is storage simply installed via SATA direct to the Mobo. Nothing is connected in any funky ways. In fact my external drive when connected to the USB 3.1 port on the motherboard is detected, mounted and opened immediately.

I just plugged-in my own NTFS formatted drives to see how they look in comparison. It's much more straight-forward. Each is shown in Disk Utility as a "...Physical Volume • Windows NT File System (NTFS)" with its size etc., and correct diskIDs.

Lot's of diskIDs seem to be missing. Go with @vulgo 's response below. I had written more but that's the logical way forward ...

Last edited:
Any chance you can make a copy of IOReg with the drives attached? Guide + tool here if you need it.

Sure, the attached zip file is the IOReg. I attached a screenshot of the error I get on every boot as well

Attachments

• iMac.zip
    939 KB · Views: 111
  • Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 08.58.59.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 08.58.59.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 118
Sure, the attached zip file is the IOReg. I attached a screenshot of the error I get on every boot as well
From the partition GUIDs I think your storage is using Microsoft's proprietary volume management as described here (dynamic disks).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back