RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,

I think I know the answer, but just need some confirmation before I do unnecessary work. I just transferred my Windows 10 system drive from my previous BIOS-based build (GA-X58A-UD3R) into my newer one (Aorus Gaming 5). When I start it up and get to the Clover screen, I do not see the Windows boot drive listed. I see two other volumes that recently appeared, but neither of them boot, so they must be smaller non-system partitions. The Windows drive itself works fine, and I can boot into Windows if I intercept at the BIOS level and hit F12. My Windows drive is formatted with a Master Boot Record partition scheme (probably because that's what I needed at the time for the old build). All my MacOS drives are partitioned with GUID. When I installed Clover, I believe I selected UEFI (as opposed to Legacy/BIOS). I have a feeling MBR partitions will not work with a UEFI Clover. Is that correct, or am I mixing up terminology here?

Assuming all the above is correct, I am thinking I need to find another hard drive and erase it with Disk Utility (set it up as GUID with FAT or exFAT), then pop it into an external case and connect it to my Windows laptop to reformat it as NTFS. Then transfer all my Windows files to the new GUID partitioned NTFS volume. Will this approach work? I could use something like Carbon Copy Cloner from a Mac to handle the duplication of files, but I have a feeling some software licensing is tied to hard drive identifiers, so this could get messy.

Is there another option? What if I reinstall Clover (using Multibeast) and select Legacy mode instead? Would that give me the ability to see the MBR as well as GUID drives in the Clover boot menu? And would I be missing anything by switching Clover to Legacy mode?

Your advice is appreciated.

Hello all,

I think I know the answer, but just need some confirmation before I do unnecessary work. I just transferred my Windows 10 system drive from my previous BIOS-based build (GA-X58A-UD3R) into my newer one (Aorus Gaming 5). When I start it up and get to the Clover screen, I do not see the Windows boot drive listed. I see two other volumes that recently appeared, but neither of them boot, so they must be smaller non-system partitions. The Windows drive itself works fine, and I can boot into Windows if I intercept at the BIOS level and hit F12. My Windows drive is formatted with a Master Boot Record partition scheme (probably because that's what I needed at the time for the old build). All my MacOS drives are partitioned with GUID. When I installed Clover, I believe I selected UEFI (as opposed to Legacy/BIOS). I have a feeling MBR partitions will not work with a UEFI Clover. Is that correct, or am I mixing up terminology here?

Assuming all the above is correct, I am thinking I need to find another hard drive and erase it with Disk Utility (set it up as GUID with FAT or exFAT), then pop it into an external case and connect it to my Windows laptop to reformat it as NTFS. Then transfer all my Windows files to the new GUID partitioned NTFS volume. Will this approach work? I could use something like Carbon Copy Cloner from a Mac to handle the duplication of files, but I have a feeling some software licensing is tied to hard drive identifiers, so this could get messy.

Is there another option? What if I reinstall Clover (using Multibeast) and select Legacy mode instead? Would that give me the ability to see the MBR as well as GUID drives in the Clover boot menu? And would I be missing anything by switching Clover to Legacy mode?

Your advice is appreciated.
Your problem is UEFI/BIOS in the new system and Legacy BIOS in the old.
To boot a legacy BIOS installed Win10 in a UEFI system Legacy booting must be enabled with Compatibility Support Module enabled. This is usually found under the Boot tab in the UEFI.

Or, you can convert the Legacy install to UEFI install (see instructios on Microsoft support site)
Or, you can do a clean install of Win10 in UEFI mode - this is my recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back