Contribute
Register

Windows 7 on separate SSD after Lion - questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU
I7-2600
Graphics
Nvidia GT 210
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi 2 all !

I have Lion 10.7.3 happily working on a SSD.
Now i want to built a second SSD in my hackintosh and want to install Windows 7 on it.
Now i read the Going Bald Guide for setting up multiboot systems, but i still have some concerns / questions ..

1) Can the blanc SSD for Windows 7 be placed in a normal pc first, formatted and have windows 7 installed and then be placed in my hackintosh ? Will the windows 7 SSD then be seen in my hackintosh ?
Or must i format and install the windows SSD in my hackintosh (first disconnecting the Lion SSD and other internal drives which i use for data).

2) Is it true that the windows 7 SSd always has to be connected BEFORE the Lion SSD on the SATA port ? (because of loading chimera before windows bootloader)
Or is it enough to set Lion SSD as first boot device in bios ?

Hope hear from you !

vanhaze said:
Hi 2 all !

Now i want to built a second SSD in my hackintosh and want to install Windows 7 on it.
Now i read the Going Bald Guide for setting up multiboot systems, but i still have some concerns / questions ..

1) Can the blanc SSD for Windows 7 be placed in a normal pc first, formatted and have windows 7 installed and then be placed in my hackintosh ? Will the windows 7 SSD then be seen in my hackintosh ?
Or must i format and install the windows SSD in my hackintosh (first disconnecting the Lion SSD and other internal drives which i use for data).

2) Is it true that the windows 7 SSd always has to be connected BEFORE the Lion SSD on the SATA port ? (because of loading chimera before windows bootloader)

Hope hear from you !

Topic moved to General Tuning.

1. Disconnect your OS X SSD and connect your non-formatted SSD to your SATA port 0 and install Windows 7.
2. Move your Windows SSD after you've installed to SATA port 1 and connect your OS X SSD to SATA port 0.

This will take care of your concerns.

ok, thank you for this info !

vanhaze said:
Hi 2 all !

Hope hear from you !

On all modern machines, no problem to redifine boot disk whatever the SATA port used.

For dual Osx/Windows, normal configuration is to have each system on a different physical disk and to boot from Osx disk to get the Chamelon or Chimera boot menu.
Anyway, in case of trouble with Osx you can use a Chimera boot CD or stick to get the boot menu. An other possibility in case of trouble is to change the boot disk in Bios and boot from windows.

If you want to install windows on an existing system with only Osx (it doesn't mater if it is SSD or HD), set the bios to boot on your CD first and after on your unformated disk and then install win7. When finished, you change in your bios to boot to Osx.
Change your setting in Lion if you don't have the boot menu.

I made dual boot with only 1 HD. Windows is installed on 1st partition. Osx on the second (without Chimera bootloader). A small USB stick is used to boot and get the Chimera menu (it stays on a USB port in the back and priority in Bios is set to USB). If you remove the stick, you get direct boot on windows.

Righty, load and clear !

oohh.. one more thing:

I do have 2 other internal drives in my HT, besides my Lion SSD.(no systems on it, only data)
Do i have to disconnect these 2 drives also, besided the Lion ssd,before installing Windows 7 ?

vanhaze said:
oohh.. one more thing:

I do have 2 other internal drives in my HT, besides my Lion SSD.(no systems on it, only data)
Do i have to disconnect these 2 drives also, besided the Lion ssd,before installing Windows 7 ?
It is always best to have only the Windows target drive connected when installing because of the way the installer works. If your board uses the SATA port number to define first boot priority, for example, and you have a drive on SATA_4 that is a data drive and connect the Windows target drive to SATA_5, Windows installer has been known to place boot files pn SATA_4. It really isn't the best written installer around, so it is best not to confuse it any. So, remember, when installing Windows - only the target drive should be connected.

Going Bald, thank you for your clear explanation ! :clap: :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back