Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Warning: Your motherboard MUST support UEFI!!
Before we start this, I did this using Windows, if anyone is aware of a good Archive Viewer for OS X please reply for those without access to a windows machine.

Notes:
  • I do believe only the 64bit version of Windows 7 can be installed on a GPT partition. Also, your motherboard MUST support UEFI for this to work.

Requirements:
  • Motherboard with UEFI
  • 4gb+ Flash Drive
  • Windows 7 (64 Bit) Disk Image/DVD
  • Archive Viewer
  • Windows: 7-Zip[/*:m:1brxyret]
  • Mac: Please reply with one that will work with ".WIM"[/*:m:1brxyret]

Pre-Step
  1. Make sure the flash drive is formatted to FAT32, I haven't tried it using NTFS, so just make sure it is FAT32. If anyone tries this using NTFS, please leave feedback if it works. Personally I hate FAT32![/*:m:1brxyret]

Procedure:
  1. Copy content of Windows 7 Disk Image/DVD to Flash Drive[/*:m:1brxyret]
  2. On the Flash Drive, Navigate to \EFI\Microsoft\[/*:m:1brxyret]
  3. Copy entire Boot folder[/*:m:1brxyret]
  4. Go back to \EFI\, and paste the Boot folder[/*:m:1brxyret]
  5. You should now have a Boot folder and a Microsoft folder inside \EFI\[/*:m:1brxyret]
  6. Now head back to the root of the flash drive, and navigate to \sources\[/*:m:1brxyret]
  7. In Windows, with 7-Zip installed, right click install.wim, and click 7-Zip>Open archive[/*:m:1brxyret]
  8. While inside install.wim, navigate to \1\Windows\Boot\EFI\[/*:m:1brxyret]
  9. Locate bootmgfw.efi and extract/copy this to the Desktop[/*:m:1brxyret]
  10. Now rename the file you just copied to the desktop to bootx64.efi[/*:m:1brxyret]
  11. Now navigate back to the root of the Flash Drive, and copy bootx64.efi to \EFI\Boot\[/*:m:1brxyret]

Last Step:
  • You are now finished, restart your computer and boot from the flash drive. You will no longer get the GPT warning/error when selecting a drive for Windows 7 to be installed on.

Confirmed Boards:
  • Asus P8Z68 Deluxe (My Current Board)

All this was not necessary to get past the can't install because the HDD was GPT.
Boot with the GPT formatted drive connected and the Win764bit DVD in the DVD-CD drive.
Hit the F key for your keyboard that allows you to select a boot device.
Your DVD-CD drive will show up twice.
Scroll down the list and select the EFI Version of your DVD-CD drive.
Hit enter and proceed to install on GPT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back