Contribute
Register

Windows 7 error in a hard drive with Windows 7 and Snow Leopard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-H67M-D2-B3
CPU
Intel Core i5
Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6850
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Windows Phone
I recently installed windows 7 on the same hard drive as my Snow Leopard 10.6.8 OS and followed the guide to make Snow Leopard load first by default. However, when I interrupt the loading and select Windows 7 I get the following error: Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might have caused the issue... I did some research and it seems that the most likely problem is that the windows partition was made passive. So how do you make it active? I never used Chameleon to set up my dual boot, instead I just used my old iBoot CD that I used when first installing Snow Leopard.

I recently installed windows 7 on the same hard drive as my Snow Leopard 10.6.8 OS and followed the guide to make Snow Leopard load first by default. However, when I interrupt the loading and select Windows 7 I get the following error: Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might have caused the issue... I did some research and it seems that the most likely problem is that the windows partition was made passive. So how do you make it active? I never used Chameleon to set up my dual boot, instead I just used my old iBoot CD that I used when first installing Snow Leopard.
so what boot load are you using the boot cd if so boot into snow leopard and install chimera from the multi beast for snow leopard along with system utilities and see if that helps

I'm not actually sure what boot loader I'm using because when I installed Snow Leopard I purchased a package that installed everything for me... I'll try your suggestion.

Thanks for the quick reply!

so what boot load are you using the boot cd if so boot into snow leopard and install chimera from the multi beast for snow leopard along with system utilities and see if that helps
The problem is not with the boot loader - it is with the Win7 boot from the description:
Boot to menu screen
select Win7 icon, hit enter
get error

Try this. Boot OS X, launch terminal and type

diskutil list

and hit enter. look at the disk layout - assuming your boot drive is disk0, you should have something like
EFI on partition disk0s1
OS X on partition disk0s2
Win7 on disk0s3
make sure you have identified what is the proper disk

now launch frisk - type

sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

hit enter - ignore the could not open MBR... then type

p

hit enter - you will get a list of partitions numbered on the left. find the win7 partition, say 3 and make it active

f 3

hit enter. now save and exit - type

write

hit enter, type

y

hit enter, type

exit

hit enter to quit.

Note that if you are not logged in as root you will need to enter your password after sudo fdisk command
Before you go on to the next step you need to burn a CD of iBoot if you don't already have one.
Now that your Win7 partition is active you need to use your Win7 install media to repair the boot sector.
Once you have done that, boot with iBoot, boot OS X, download and re-install Chimera.

The problem is not with the boot loader - it is with the Win7 boot from the description:
Boot to menu screen
select Win7 icon, hit enter
get error

Try this. Boot OS X, launch terminal and type

diskutil list

and hit enter. look at the disk layout - assuming your boot drive is disk0, you should have something like
EFI on partition disk0s1
OS X on partition disk0s2
Win7 on disk0s3
make sure you have identified what is the proper disk

now launch frisk - type

sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

hit enter - ignore the could not open MBR... then type

p

hit enter - you will get a list of partitions numbered on the left. find the win7 partition, say 3 and make it active

f 3

hit enter. now save and exit - type

write

hit enter, type

y

hit enter, type

exit

hit enter to quit.

Note that if you are not logged in as root you will need to enter your password after sudo fdisk command
Before you go on to the next step you need to burn a CD of iBoot if you don't already have one.
Now that your Win7 partition is active you need to use your Win7 install media to repair the boot sector.
Once you have done that, boot with iBoot, boot OS X, download and re-install Chimera.

Ok, I just have a few questions: why do I have to download and re-install Chimera after all that? Will things be deleted on my old Snow Leopard OS? Also, how do I download Chimera?

I'm sorry if these are all amateur questions, I just don't want to mess anything I already have up... Thanks so much for the help!

Ok, I just have a few questions: why do I have to download and re-install Chimera after all that? Will things be deleted on my old Snow Leopard OS? Also, how do I download Chimera?

I'm sorry if these are all amateur questions, I just don't want to mess anything I already have up... Thanks so much for the help!
When you repair the boot sector with the Win7 install media it overwrites the Chimera boot load file on the HDD MBR. So, iBoot to boot Snow Leopard with because the boot loader is no longer there, the Chimera installer from downloads (http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=3) to re-install the boot loader file overwritten by the Win7 installer.

When you repair the boot sector with the Win7 install media it overwrites the Chimera boot load file on the HDD MBR. So, iBoot to boot Snow Leopard with because the boot loader is no longer there, the Chimera installer from downloads (http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=3) to re-install the boot loader file overwritten by the Win7 installer.

It worked! I can now boot into both Mac and Windows with no error! But another problem arose as I was browsing windows... It doesn't detect my ethernet cable so I can't connect to the internet even though it works in OS X. Some other minor problems are that there is a high pitched sound that comes from the computer only when using windows and that I can't set up dual monitors. Are there additional drivers that I have to install? I guess my first priority would be getting the internet... Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help so far!

It worked! I can now boot into both Mac and Windows with no error! But another problem arose as I was browsing windows... It doesn't detect my ethernet cable so I can't connect to the internet even though it works in OS X. Some other minor problems are that there is a high pitched sound that comes from the computer only when using windows and that I can't set up dual monitors. Are there additional drivers that I have to install? I guess my first priority would be getting the internet... Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help so far!

Suggest you go to the board manufacturer's website and download a driver set to a USB flash drive, then boot to Win7 and install the drivers, network NIC driver especially.

Suggest you go to the board manufacturer's website and download a driver set to a USB flash drive, then boot to Win7 and install the drivers, network NIC driver especially.

Will do, thanks again for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back