Contribute
Register

Windows 7 cannot bot on dual boot with 10.6.3 - GUID problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Acer Aspire Es1-311
CPU
Intel Celeron N2840
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi

For unknown reason Windows 7 cannot boot on a dual booting laptop (Acer aspire 5610 upgraded cpu) with Mac Os 10.6.3.
the usual REPAIR method didnt work apparently because of the booting method (guid).
Is there another approach to solve the problem?

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Motherboard
Acer Aspire Es1-311
CPU
Intel Celeron N2840
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I installed Win 7 more than a year ago creating Dos space and then when installing windows reformatted to ntfs. Dual booting had no problem
until now.

The message is as follows.
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the
cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your Widows installation disk and restart your computer.
2. Choosse your language ..
3. Click Repair your computer
If you do not have this disk…
File: \Boot\BCD
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration
data

The above repair could not be done. It seems that the installation program
said essentially that the format could not be recognized, I can reproduce the
exact message, if it is of help, but I think its logic that it expected another
booting method than GUID(?)

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I installed Win 7 more than a year ago creating Dos space and then when installing windows reformatted to ntfs. Dual booting had no problem
until now.

The message is as follows.
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the
cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your Widows installation disk and restart your computer.
2. Choosse your language ..
3. Click Repair your computer
If you do not have this disk…
File: \Boot\BCD
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration
data

The above repair could not be done. It seems that the installation program
said essentially that the format could not be recognized, I can reproduce the
exact message, if it is of help, but I think its logic that it expected another
booting method than GUID(?)

You could try to manually repair. Depends on your skills with cmd.exe.

Boot your Windows installer and when it comes up asking for language, hit Shift+F10. This gets you a command prompt. Type 'diskpart', then enter. Type 'list vol'. This gets you a list of volumes and their drive letter mappings (not the same drive letters you might have had when booting Windows normally). Then type 'exit'.

Now find the volume (from the drive letters listed) that has your \BOOT directory. It could be C:\ or D:\... it all depends on what partitions you have on the drive. Remember that the \BOOT directory is usually hidden. Once you find it, you can display the BCD contents. For example, if it was C:, you could, type 'bcdedit /store c:\BOOT\BCD'.

From there you can restore the invalid/missing entries in the BCD by using 'bcdedit /store c:\BOOT\BCD /set'. Search or use BCDEDIT help to determine actual syntax, or provide the output here from bcdedit.

Motherboard
Acer Aspire Es1-311
CPU
Intel Celeron N2840
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Here is the exact message of Windows Installation - attempt to Repair:Windows installation: attempt Repair

The version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with this version of
Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disk that is compatible with this version of Windows.

Hope this is of help, many thanks for helping!

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Here is the exact message of Windows Installation - attempt to Repair:Windows installation: attempt Repair

The version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with this version of
Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disk that is compatible with this version of Windows.

Hope this is of help, many thanks for helping!

Repair rarely works even when it is just Windows installed. Throw a dual-boot setup with an alternate bootloader like Chimera or Chameleon, and the Windows Repair functionality is completely confused.

That's why I suggested you attempt repairs manually.

Motherboard
Acer Aspire Es1-311
CPU
Intel Celeron N2840
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I managed to copy windows partition to another disk and did windows recover on it thus saving all windows progs and data.
Do you think I should try testdisk or should I reinstall the whole win thing again? Installing would take 2 days I think...
*I had ofcourse a backup of my dual thing but the disk was gone and

Motherboard
Acer Aspire Es1-311
CPU
Intel Celeron N2840
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I managed to copy windows partition to another disk and did windows recover on it thus saving all windows progs and data.
Do you think I should try testdisk or should I reinstall the whole win thing again? Installing would take 2 days I think...
(I had of course a backup of my dual thing but the disk was gone and the disaster happened before the new disk arrived)

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
(I had of course a backup of my dual thing but the disk was gone and the disaster happened before the new disk arrived)

If you are not able to recover manually, the only choice is to re-install.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
You could try to manually repair. Depends on your skills with cmd.exe.

Boot your Windows installer and when it comes up asking for language, hit Shift+F10. This gets you a command prompt. Type 'diskpart', then enter. Type 'list vol'. This gets you a list of volumes and their drive letter mappings (not the same drive letters you might have had when booting Windows normally). Then type 'exit'.

Now find the volume (from the drive letters listed) that has your \BOOT directory. It could be C:\ or D:\... it all depends on what partitions you have on the drive. Remember that the \BOOT directory is usually hidden. Once you find it, you can display the BCD contents. For example, if it was C:, you could, type 'bcdedit /store c:\BOOT\BCD'.

From there you can restore the invalid/missing entries in the BCD by using 'bcdedit /store c:\BOOT\BCD /set'. Search or use BCDEDIT help to determine actual syntax, or provide the output here from bcdedit.
Thanks RehabMan for the guide. I'd say this is the last hope fixting my problem at hand although I afraid that I don't know exactly how to fix (how to tell what missing, what need to correct etc?).

But It's annoying: I had lot's trouble make win7 happy to install. So I ccc cloned my Mavericks installation somewhere, using unibeast usb reformat the hdd to guid, fat32 1 partition (otherwise win7 refuse to install), install win7 and than use ubuntu usb installer to resize the windows partition, than use unibeast to create partitions for osx after windows (tried various ways, this works only so far), ccc clone back the mavericks installation back to the new partition (mac os extended Journaled) after win7 partition, make that partition active and fix boo0 error, rebuilt multibeast there and than USING WIN7 DVD FIXING windows boot. Now I can boot to windows. Then reboot to Mavericks again fine. All the troubles are worthwhile. Next day I start the machine and choose windows to start: 0xc000000e error AGAIN! And win7 DVD cannot repair the boot anymore!!

My question is: how come the error came back? What to prevent it came back after a normal use of Mavericks? If we know these, it's worth to fix 0xc000000e error; otherwise any fixing at that level makes no sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.