Contribute
Register

Windows 7 And Mavericks With Windows 7 Pre-Installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Acer Aspire 5742
CPU
Intel Core i3-370M
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Windows Phone
Hi, I want to dual boot my Dell Inspiron 530 that has 2 hard drives one of them blank and one with an exsisting copy of windows 7 WHICH I DO NOT WANT TO DELETE. I ask this question first of all becuase my hdd isn't set to AHCI and second of all windows uses MBR while os x uses GPT and AHCI. I can't format my drive becuase i don't have a prodct key to spear or a copy of win 7. (also i can't afford to buy a new copy). So what are my options becuase as far as I am aware you can't switch windows to GPT without having to reformat the hdd. PLEASE HELP:cry:

Hi, I want to dual boot my Dell Inspiron 530 that has 2 hard drives one of them blank and one with an exsisting copy of windows 7 WHICH I DO NOT WANT TO DELETE. I ask this question first of all becuase my hdd isn't set to AHCI and second of all windows uses MBR while os x uses GPT and AHCI. I can't format my drive becuase i don't have a prodct key to spear or a copy of win 7. (also i can't afford to buy a new copy). So what are my options becuase as far as I am aware you can't switch windows to GPT without having to reformat the hdd. PLEASE HELP:cry:

You will need to switch to AHCI for OS X. That means you'll need to switch Windows to AHCI ... a good idea to do anyway as performance is better. See here for the edits required to the registry: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

You can then install OS X to the other HDD without affecting your Windows install. Remove the Windows drive while you do the install so you don't make a mistake (eg. "pilot error") that affects your Windows drive.

Sorry for late reply,
Thanks a lot this really helped.

I almost forgot that my pc doesn't support AHCI so instead I have to use RAID. Will this cause any problems or can I still use the method you provided me with?

Sorry for late reply,
Thanks a lot this really helped.

I almost forgot that my pc doesn't support AHCI so instead I have to use RAID. Will this cause any problems or can I still use the method you provided me with?

What is your device id with SATA in RAID mode? Use 'lspci -nn' in Linux Terminal.

Is there any way to do that in windows? Or could I do it from a bootable linux cd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back