Gigabyte Z97X-SLI
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
yak merchant said:
Okay kids been reading and reading and reading…but still have a few questions. So going to build a pretty hefty machine that’s primary purpose is Windows Development. Only real requirement is that it is quad core and has 32GB of Ram. But thought it would be nice to dual boot to Mac (Lion) for a few pieces of software that I want to mess with (Devonthink etc). So after reading I want to start with the following:

GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
I7-2600K
Radeon HD 6870
32GB RAM (4x8) Any recommendations?
Intel 520 SSD (240GB)
(2) 1 TB 7200rpm in Raid 0 on onboard controllers. Likely Seagate Barracuda’s
Some big 650+ watt power supply.
Some overpriced case.

So now to the questions; I’m planning on adding a Crucial M4 64GB to run the Mac/Osx.
I know that Raid in OSX pretty much doesn’t work. I’m not going down the software raid path for this build, so I need a better definition of “Doesn’t Work”. Does that mean OSX doesn’t recognize it and still runs fine or does it mean when you try to boot to OSX it blows up? I’m perfectly fine not having the storage space of the 2TB Raid 0 array when I boot into Mac. When reading the motherboard specs it says 4 sata ports at 6GB/s and 3 sata ports at 3GB/s. So could I put the Intel SSD on 6GB/s Port 1, the Crucial M4 on 6GB/s Port2, the raid array on Ports 3&4. And then buy a 1TB 3GB/s 7200k drive to stick on one of the 3GB/s ports for “Mac” Storage. I’d be fine if I booted to Mac and all that was available was the 64GB crucial and the 1TB drive on one of the 3GB/s ports. Will this work?
Anything I’m missing? Mistakes? Anything else I need to buy like dedicated LAN card, etc?

Your help is greatly appreciated!!

If you format the raid array with NTFS, os x will simply not see it. All the hardware you've listed should work just fine...

yak merchant said:
Okay kids been reading and reading and reading…but still have a few questions. So going to build a pretty hefty machine that’s primary purpose is Windows Development. Only real requirement is that it is quad core and has 32GB of Ram. But thought it would be nice to dual boot to Mac (Lion) for a few pieces of software that I want to mess with (Devonthink etc). So after reading I want to start with the following:

GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
I7-2600K
Radeon HD 6870
32GB RAM (4x8) Any recommendations?
Intel 520 SSD (240GB)
(2) 1 TB 7200rpm in Raid 0 on onboard controllers. Likely Seagate Barracuda’s
Some big 650+ watt power supply.
Some overpriced case.

So now to the questions; I’m planning on adding a Crucial M4 64GB to run the Mac/Osx.
I know that Raid in OSX pretty much doesn’t work. I’m not going down the software raid path for this build, so I need a better definition of “Doesn’t Work”. Does that mean OSX doesn’t recognize it and still runs fine or does it mean when you try to boot to OSX it blows up? I’m perfectly fine not having the storage space of the 2TB Raid 0 array when I boot into Mac. When reading the motherboard specs it says 4 sata ports at 6GB/s and 3 sata ports at 3GB/s. So could I put the Intel SSD on 6GB/s Port 1, the Crucial M4 on 6GB/s Port2, the raid array on Ports 3&4. And then buy a 1TB 3GB/s 7200k drive to stick on one of the 3GB/s ports for “Mac” Storage. I’d be fine if I booted to Mac and all that was available was the 64GB crucial and the 1TB drive on one of the 3GB/s ports. Will this work?
Anything I’m missing? Mistakes? Anything else I need to buy like dedicated LAN card, etc?

Your help is greatly appreciated!!

I just installed 4 Super Talent 8GB DDR3-1333 RAM sticks into my system giving me a total of 32GB RAM. The system appears to work fine in Snow Leopard and Lion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back