Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i7-4970K
Graphics
GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+
I have had trouble with the Windows 10 side of the installation (go figure). I have two separate SSD, one for Mac and one for Windows 10.

I installed Mac El Capitan first on one SSD with almost no problems at all. Now when installing Windows 10 on my second SSD, I figured out that I had to unplug all my other hard drives in order to install it cleanly. After getting Windows 10 running on it smoothly, after I reboot a couple times, it would go into "Preparing Automatic Repair"

This is the 2nd time this has happened already. Any ideas on the cause of this!!?

I have had trouble with the Windows 10 side of the installation (go figure). I have two separate SSD, one for Mac and one for Windows 10.

I installed Mac El Capitan first on one SSD with almost no problems at all. Now when installing Windows 10 on my second SSD, I figured out that I had to unplug all my other hard drives in order to install it cleanly. After getting Windows 10 running on it smoothly, after I reboot a couple times, it would go into "Preparing Automatic Repair"

This is the 2nd time this has happened already. Any ideas on the cause of this!!?
Doublecheck SATA cable connections / try different SATA cable. If this does not cure the problem, RMA the SSD.

Doublecheck SATA cable connections / try different SATA cable. If this does not cure the problem, RMA the SSD.

It does not seem like the SSD is the issue. I just tried installing Windows onto a different SSD. After installation, I was able to run Windows 10, but after I shut down, and tried to boot into Windows 10 using Clover, it would fail to start up a couple of times, and then it would start the Automatic Repair.

It seems that when I start plugging in my Mac SSD, Windows 10 would not boot up correctly and start the automatic repair.

So here's what else I have noticed. If I go into BIOS and select the main boot up drive as my Windows SSD, it would boot Windows properly and it would not need to go into Recovery. However, if I select the Mac SSD as my main boot up device, and I select Windows from the Clover options, it would give me this screen.

20160104_195844.jpg

So here's what else I have noticed. If I go into BIOS and select the main boot up drive as my Windows SSD, it would boot Windows properly and it would not need to go into Recovery. However, if I select the Mac SSD as my main boot up device, and I select Windows from the Clover options, it would give me this screen.

Are you selecting the Boot Microsoft EFI from EFI icon at the Clover boot screen to boot Win10?

Are you selecting the Boot Microsoft EFI from EFI icon at the Clover boot screen to boot Win10?

Yes, that is the only option that would get me into Windows 10 in the first place

There were 3 other options listed, and they would all get me onto a blinking "_" and go nowhere: Boot Microsoft from Legacy HD1, Boot Microsoft from EFI, and Boot Microsoft from Legacy HD4

I'm having the same problem :( It works perfectly when I start windows from windows boot manager, but for some reason It won't boot through clover. It annoyed me so much I reinstalled both windows 10 and el capitan, but I had no luck as it is still a problem

I'm having the same problem :( It works perfectly when I start windows from windows boot manager, but for some reason It won't boot through clover. It annoyed me so much I reinstalled both windows 10 and el capitan, but I had no luck as it is still a problem

You have been installing Windows 10 with all other SATA connections unplugged right?

So I MAY have found a solution, but can someone explain why this works?

In Bios, I have to select Windows 8 or Windows 8 WHQL, and the important thing is to DISABLE CSM Support. Once CSM Support is disabled, I can get into Windows 10 from Clover. What does this mean!? Why does this work??

Going Bald, if you see someone else with this problem in the forums, let them know this could be the fix

Thanks

OMG, so I'm not the only one this has been happening to! I'd concluded that there must be something wrong with the HDD I was using for Windows.

It's a really strange problem, but it happens consistently despite completely reinstalling W10 several times: Everything will work find at first, but after alternating between booting OS X and booting Windows a couple of times, Windows will simply refuse to start.

The problem isn't actually the "Automatic Repair" btw—you can disable automatic repair completely, and you'll just get a blue screen when you try to boot instead.

The strangest thing is that this isn't some sort of strange Clover problem—I run into issues even if you disconnect the Clover drive again, and/or boot from the bios directly.

In Bios, I have to select Windows 8 or Windows 8 WHQL, and the important thing is to DISABLE CSM Support. Once CSM Support is disabled, I can get into Windows 10 from Clover. What does this mean!? Why does this work??

I'm away from my desktop atm (and will be for at least another week), but this sounds like something to try when I get back!

Edit: CSM = legacy (BIOS) booting, correct? If so, I know that I already have it disabled in my bios :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back