i5-10500
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I had a windows installation working, but need to fresh install due to a lot of problems. OSX sits on an SSD directly on the mainboard (which makes it hard to remove because I have to disassembly the whole computer to do that). I created an USB installer stick, but when trying to install, I get the message "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files". The partition is there, formatted NTFS and GPT. I read that this is due to the disk not being set as the first start disk. I cannot do that because in my BIOS I can only choose the non-UEFI variant of the disk, the UEFI variant is not showing up (unlike to F12, where always both variants are listed..). I tried removing my OSX disk, but that did not change anything. I still get the same error...

I used Rufus and an up-to-date iso. I don't think that this is the problem...

If the GPT was originally created by OS X, Windows might not install onto it. I always create my GPT in Windows, leave an empty partition and then erase that in Disk Utility for OS X install. If you try to do it the other way around, there may be problems.

I used Rufus and an up-to-date iso. I don't think that this is the problem...
If you used Rufus, did you specifically select UEFI instead of Legacy mode for the USB? Default is Legacy. This is one of the reasons I recommend using Microsofts USB creation tool - it creates installation USB capable of both Legacy and UEFI installations. If you format the drive with Mac OS Disk Utility GPT and Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and boot with the Windows USB, when it asks you to select a drive to install, select the Mac OS partition, delete it and click next to install Windows to the unallocated partition - Windows installer will create partitions as needed and install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back