Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Windows 10 (GPT/UEFI installed) wont boot with CSM disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you mount disk 1 partition 2? This is your Win10 EFI partition and should contain your Microsoft Windows boot manager.
OTOH, some versions of Clover have trouble booting an OS from the EFI partition if it is not partition 1.
Are you willing to re-install Win10?
IF yes, use Mac Disk Utility to format the Win10 drive, 1 partition, guid, Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
This will give you a FAT32 formatted EFI partition at the beginning of your drive, same as Mac OS has and Win10 installer will put its boot files here.
Boot the Win10 USB and at the install pick screen select the Mac OS partition, click delete. Leave the free space this leaves behind and click on the Next button to install Win10. The installer will create any other partitions required.

Last edited:
Can you mount disk 1 partition 2? This is your Win10 EFI partition and should contain your Microsoft Windows boot manager.
OTOH, some versions of Clover have trouble booting an OS from the EFI partition if it is not partition 1.
Are you willing to re-install Win10?
IF yes, use Mac Disk Utility to format the Win10 drive, 1 partition, guid, Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
This will give you a FAT32 formatted EFI partition at the beginning of your drive, same as Mac OS has and Win10 installer will put its boot files here.
Boot the Win10 USB and at the install pick screen select the Mac OS partition, click delete. Leave the free space this leaves behind and click on the Next button to install Win10. The installer will create any other partitions required.
Just assigned disk 1 partition 2 a letter and explored it using Explorer++. As expected, I found an EFI folder containing a Boot folder with bootx64.efi and a Microsoft with two folders in it: Boot and recovery (and a bunch of files in these folders, especially EFI/Microsoft/Boot). Moreover, CSM and iGPU Multimonitor enabled or disabled issues, I tried to boot Windows from both its Clover entry and directly by selecting the Win 10 EFI parition from the UEFI boot loader and the behavior was the same.

I am not planning to reinstall windows 10 for now as I a lot of stuff I should backup then reinstall (mostly games...) but if I do it one day I will definitely try your method. Do you think that my problem might come from the fact that the win 10 disks EFI partition is not at the beginning of he disk? If so is there a way I could move the 529Mo partition somewhere else (like at the end of the disk) and the EFI one at the beginning, without having to reinstall everything? I though the position of a partition was not a problem anymore in the SSD world. Am I wrong?

That's crazy how much pain it is to create such a simple thing, and how Even Rufus and the official Win 10 media creation tool can become the source of your headache.

I am not planning to reinstall windows 10 for now as I a lot of stuff I should backup then reinstall (mostly games...) but if I do it one day I will definitely try your method. Do you think that my problem might come from the fact that the win 10 disks EFI partition is not at the beginning of he disk? If so is there a way I could move the 529Mo partition somewhere else (like at the end of the disk) and the EFI one at the beginning, without having to reinstall everything? I though the position of a partition was not a problem anymore in the SSD world. Am I wrong?
Do you have this in your config.plist?

<key>GUI</key>
<dict>
<key>Hide</key>
<array>
<string>\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI</string>
<string>Windows</string>
</array>

zip and post your config.plist

Under GUI you have 3 UUIDs hidden - what do the UUIDs refer to? You might have hidden the Win10 boot.
I added them from a previous install attempt. I removed them a few days ago but then the default boot volume was not working anymore if set on "macOS" (but LastBootedVolume still worked). I re-inserted the old UUID and after a couple reboot Clover was choosing macOS as default boot volume again...Anyway...

I just tried to delete all the hidden volume entries (the 3 UUIDs and \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI) but kept Preboot and Recovery. As expected, exact same result: Windows wont boot with CSM disabled unless I also disable IGPU Multimonitor.

I added them from a previous install attempt. I removed them a few days ago but then the default boot volume was not working anymore if set on "macOS" (but LastBootedVolume still worked). I re-inserted the old UUID and after a couple reboot Clover was choosing macOS as default boot volume again...Anyway...

I just tried to delete all the hidden volume entries (the 3 UUIDs and \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI) but kept Preboot and Recovery. As expected, exact same result: Windows wont boot with CSM disabled unless I also disable IGPU Multimonitor.
Then this seems to be more of a problem with the UEFI BIOS than with Clover. Is there any real reason not to leave CSM enabled?

Then this seems to be more of a problem with the UEFI BIOS than with Clover. Is there any real reason not to leave CSM enabled?

Yes I explained them in the first post: get a proper resolution during the whole boot process, and switch to OpenCore one day.

Don't you think the issue can come from the fact that the EFI partition of the Windows disk is not at the beginning of the disk?

Yes I explained them in the first post: get a proper resolution during the whole boot process, and switch to OpenCore one day.

Don't you think the issue can come from the fact that the EFI partition of the Windows disk is not at the beginning of the disk?
Have you tried using a different version of Clover?
Have you added NTFS.efi on your EFI/Clover/drivers64uefi folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back