Register

Windows 10 Boot Fails in Dual Boot from Clover - if IGPU enabled

• Thread starter Deleted member 188658
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 188658

This is for my GA-Z97X-Gaming-7 Hack. It contains a Radeon 580RX Graphics.

If I disable the IGPU in the BIOS , clover boots Windows 10 with no problems.
If I endable the IGPU I get the Windows Boot Failure splash screen.
If I press the F12 key and attempt a direct boot from the Windows Boot Manager disk, it fails to boot - splash screen again.

For several years I have been aware of this problem on this Hack. OSX is running fine with IGPU enabled on 10.14.2. But I can't boot the Windows installation if the IGPU is enabled.

A key piece of information is that this Windows installation was a HD to SSD copy of an older Windows install, and as I shut down that older PC (which also was a dual booting Hack) I convinced Microsoft to give me a new Registration key for the move of this valid old install to new HW.

I can't remember if the older system also forced me to disable the IGPU in the BIOS.

In 2018 I built a newer Hack, on a ASROCK Z270 motherboard, and paid for a new Windows key, as I made that dual boot too. But importantly I do NOT have to disable the IGPU on that Hack. It boots from CLOVER with no problems to either OS.

Does anyone know how I can get this GA-Z97X Hack to dual boot, WITHOUT going through the BIOS step of disabling the IGPU ?

Thanks

How much vram are you assigning the igpu? This sometimes makes a difference.
There are several settings in the UEFI/BIOS related to the graphics settings - check your board manual for setup: you may not have it set properly to run Win10 with the igpu. Also check the Win10 settings to see if you disabled igpu when you installed drivers for the GPU and made it the default graphics device.

Last edited:
Hi, deactivate the IGPU in Windows Device-Manager. After that you can Boot into Windows with Clover.

How much vram are you assigning the igpu? This sometimes makes a difference.
There are several settings in the UEFI/BIOS related to the graphics settings - check your board manual for setup: you may not have it set properly to run Win10 with the igpu. Also check the Win10 settings to see if you disabled igpu when you installed drivers for the GPU and made it the default graphics device.

I have tried to assign various sizes to the VRAM of IGPU, 64M, 256M, 334M. None of those choices work.

Last weekend I did a complete fresh install of Window 10, where I disconnected the OSX drives and had only a Windows SSD attached. The re-install went normally. I was able to boot from the SSD directly, meaning no Clover intermediary boot loader. I re-attached the OSX / Clover SSD, booted to Clover with IGPU enabled. Fails. Exactly as before.

I then attempted to boot into 10.14.2. It fails the Clover boot - just loads the splash screen and sits there. No graphics. This is without me changing the EFI partition on the UEFI OSX SSD. I tried it with IGPU enabled and with IGPU disabled, my OSX boot is gone. I can boot into the Recovery Mode. Another nightmare. I can't boot to Safe Mode. I can get to Single mode but it won't exit into the GUI. No changes were done to the config.plist of Clover. It just stopped. No new drivers, nothing. I will attempt to boot from a Clover USB stick later today.

Hi, deactivate the IGPU in Windows Device-Manager. After that you can Boot into Windows with Clover.

I think you miss the point, but thanks for the comment. My goal, much thwarted, is to boot to OSX and to Windows 10 with IGPU enabled in the BIOS.

Anyway I'm back in the world of a mess yet again.

@tecemac
Can you install Mac OS with iGPU enabled and boot reliably?
When you install Win10 with iGPU enabled it boots OK, yes? Then when you boot with Clover and select Win10 to boot it will not work? If true, check Clover config.plist graphics settings.

Can you install Mac OS with iGPU enabled and boot reliably?

Not sure what you're asking here. I used to have a fully functional 10.14.2 OSX running on this GA-Z97X motherboard system. So why are you asking me to install the Mac OS again? Something changed - yes I don't know what - but trying to reinstall Windows 10 last weekend messed up my OSX boot. Yes it is a graphics issue of some kind. Are you suggesting that I go into recovery mode and run "install mojave" again?

When you install Win10 with iGPU enabled it boots OK, yes? Then when you boot with Clover and select Win10 to boot it will not work? If true, check Clover config.plist graphics settings.

Yes I have IGPU enabled in the Windows 10 SSD. If I boot directly from that SSD, i.e. F-12 select boot disc, then Windows 10 boots just fine. The device driver shows the G4600 IGPU and the 580RX as display controllers.

Today I took my saved off copy of the EFI partition ( which used to work ) and put it on a USB stick, in the USB EFI partition. I F-12 selected that USB and started its Clover, and it FAILS the same way as the Clover on the SSD. No surprise I guess. I can boot to single user. But once I exit single user the console spews some Clover message, which I can't read it goes by so fast, and I can't freeze the console. A Ctrl-S or Ctrl-Q does not flow control the console messages. Is there another way? All I can glock from the spewing messages is something about 'corruption'.

The Clover version is something like 4580 or something about 8+ months old. Is it possible the Clover version is out of date/whack? It was reliably working. Maybe I updated to 10.14.2 some months messed up the boot, and then rebooted to Windows 10 (with the IGPU disabled) but never really tested booting back to 10.14.2 ?

thanks for the reply.

The latest.

I updated the USB installer to Clover v4862 using the tonyMac UEFI installer. I then copied the SMBIOS portion of the older original config.plist to the new installed config.plist.

I booted. Same failure. Gets to where, I believe, it is about to init the Graphics and just doesn't. The Apple splash screen fills the progress bar and the system just sits there.

In a near panic I decided to boot to Recovery and run Install MacOS again. That continued for 30 minutes and after a couple of reboots it stopped and complained about not being able to "finish a copy".

Now I have nothing. No OSX.

My only guess is that the SSD has become corrupted?

Ideas?

And even later.

I brought out my disk CarbonCopy clone of the SSD. I inserted the USB flash drive, booted it using Clover v4862, and selected the HDD image to boot from.

It booted. (No I have not tried the Windows 10 boot from that USB drive)

The Samsung PRO SSD is bad. This is the second time in a year that a Samsung SSD has gone bad on me. This time it appears that just sitting in the machine running Windows 10 - therefore not accessing the Samsung SSD - the drive went south. Piece of crap. Are we allowed to say that?

I think you miss the point, but thanks for the comment. My goal, much thwarted, is to boot to OSX and to Windows 10 with IGPU enabled in the BIOS.

yes you let the igpu enabled in the bios, but in windows you deactivate the igpu in the device-manager and just use the rx.

And another update.

Got another SSD, this time a Western Digital. Cloned back to this WD SSD and booted to Mojave 10.14.3. Ran this for a couple of weeks with several successful Mojave reboots. Clover was at version 4862.

Used Clover Configurator to attempt to update Clover to 4910 version. BIOS completely failed to boot from the WD SSD. There was NO Clover boot manager, nothing. Brought back my USB boot drive and successfully booted the OS again from the WD SSD using the USB Clover of 4862.

I won't go through the issues that ensued when trying to boot the Window SSD from the USB stick using Clover. Suffice to say the Windows boot corrupted, and after several "Attempting Boot Repair" attempts finally got that OS to boot.

Returned to Mojave on WD SSD and used the TonyMacx86 Clover installer of 4862 to overwrite the failed 4910 Clover on the SSD. Important to note that the kexts and config.plist on the SSD and the USB stick are the same, and at no time did I change the kexts folder or config.plist on the SSD.

Once I re-installed 4862 on the WD SSD it boots, i.e. it finds Clover and Clover boot manager, and boots Mojave 10.14.3.

Why did the Clover Configurator update of Clover to 4910 fail?

So now I still cannot dual boot from Clover.

Using the F-12 option to select the boot drive I can boot either UEFI OS and get Clover from the WD SSD, or I can select the Windows Boot manager from the other SSD and boot into that OS. But I can't use the Clover boot manager to boot to Windows. And when I attempted it, even on 4862 of Clover, it corrupts the Windows boot on failure, and I have to go back to a direct boot (using F12 key of BIOS) of Windows Boot Manager to fix Windows.

Question: Is there a problem/bug with the BIOS on the Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming-7 motherboard with respect to the IGPU?
Has anyone successfully Dual-Booted on a Z97X-Gaming-7 motherboard, or even any Gigabyte Z97X series with 4600 IGPU?

Because I believe there is some interaction between Clover and the BIOS that is the root of this mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back