Contribute
Register

will windows keyboards work with hackintoshs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mountain Lion (10.8.2) +Windows 7 Ultimate
CPU
3.4 GHz Intel Core i5 OC @ 4.4
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2048 MB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
i was thinking of getting a gaming keyboard for a future hackintosh, but i was wondering if a windows only keyboard will work with a hackintosh. if not is there a way to get it to work?

While the key layouts are slightly different, physically there is no such thing as a windows keyboard or a mac keyboard. A keyboard is a keyboard, anything you use should work fine. Typing this post from a Windows layout logitech keyboard on my hackintosh with no issues, many use PC keyboards.

i was thinking of getting a gaming keyboard for a future hackintosh, but i was wondering if a windows only keyboard will work with a hackintosh. if not is there a way to get it to work?
Any non-standard buttons may or may not work (such as media keys, macro keys and so on). The rest should work.

Exactly,unless that specific keyboard has OS X software,you wont be able to set any special keys on Mac side.Still,if the keyboard saves settings into internal memory, those keys may work on OS X the way you will set them in Windows.For example,my gaming mouse Logitech G500 has no OS X software (i hate Logitech doesnt support OS X yet),still it has internal memory and it's buttons work in OS X the way i set them in Windows.This is for those special keys.As BitterMelon already said, the standard keys will work with no problem.

i just decided to get the razer blackwidow ultimate mac edition. it was a simple gaming keyboard, made for mac, and i could change the micro keys without complication. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back