Contribute
Register

Will updating my BIOS help solve Thunderbolt issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170X Ultra Gaming
CPU
INTEL CORE I7-6700K
Graphics
GIGABYTE GTX1080TI 11GB
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm up and running, new to doing this, so I'd like to know if updating my BIOS may help with my Thunderbolt 3 connection. Right now I can connect to a Thunderbolt 2 drive via an adapter, but only if I connect then restart. Upon restart I can access the drive but there are no Thunderbolt drivers in the System Information.

I've done a lot of reading on this site so I'm pretty confident on how to do the update. I just am curious if it's worth doing. I see on Gygabytes website I'm on version F4 and there's about 4-5 updates wince the version I have. It's up to F22. They must have skipped some numbers. I didn't notice anything in the notes about Thunderbolt though, so I'm curious if it's worth doing?

I also am curious if anyone has had any luck using a PCI thunderbolt card with a mobo like mine. I wanted to get a Thunderbolt 2 card but they seem quite difficult to find now. I see an ASUS card coming available soon on B&H, but none of the recommended card here in this forum seem to be available.

I may just stick with the single TH3 with 3-2 adapter. But it would be nice to have 2 more TH2's.

As far as I know, no one has been able to get thunderbolt support to be true plug and play like on a "real" macintosh. Thunderbolt devices must be plugged in before you boot the system in order to be seen. Hopefully one day we'll see true plug and play support on machines.

As far as I know, no one has been able to get thunderbolt support to be true plug and play like on a "real" macintosh. Thunderbolt devices must be plugged in before you boot the system in order to be seen. Hopefully one day we'll see true plug and play support on machines.
This is good to know. I wasn't sure. I think mine is working fine. I've managed to use a RAID and my BM ultra mini studio video monitor. So I'm good for now. I am curious about adding a PCI card, I'm assuming it would work since my mobo has a header. I just can't fine the card I want. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back