Gigabyte Z390 Auros Master
CPU
I9 9900K
Graphics
RTX 2070 | UHD 630
Hey!
I have a desktop computer with the following hardware:
I9 9900K
Gigabyte Z390 Auros Master Mobo (Still with the stock intel WiFi chip)
Asus RTX 2070 GPU
Samsung 970 Evo NVMe ssd as a OS drive (Probably will get another one for this)

I want to install Big Sur on this setup, now I know that the hardware is mostly supported, but I have some questions regarding the GPU and the install.

The GPU:
2070 isnt supported by any mac install so I know Im going to have to utilize the iGPU on my I9, but Im struggling to understand how this works with the headless setup vs. non-headless setup. Can I disable my 2070, setup the UHD 630 headless and use the displayoutput from my 2070 with GPU acceleration from the iGPU? Or do I have to connect another display cable straight from the mobo for when the computer is running OSX?

The install:
I want to dualboot this. This computer is my development/gaming rig, but right now outside of Gaming and straight up .net development I prefer using a OSX enviroment. So how hard is it going to be to get this dualbooting windows 10 and OSX Big Sur (Or Catalina if thats easier). Right now I only have one 512Gb OS drive in my system, but if this setup that Ive described over can work then Im going to obtain another one to have the OS' on separate drives with a shared Data drive

Edit: Could I straight up bootcamp it? Or would that not work on separate drives?

These are probably trivial questions that I cant find answers I understand for so hoping someone here can shed some light on it for me.
The Mobo is running the latest bios (F11c) and the Intel WifI chip is supported by itlwm.kext so Im planning to attempt to use that, if that fails then I have a Netgear A6150 USB card that has drivers for Osx so I can always just use that one instead.
The SSD has been upgraded to a firmware that is supported by Osx.

Last edited:
Hey!
I have a desktop computer with the following hardware:
I9 9900K
Gigabyte Z390 Auros Master Mobo (Still with the stock intel WiFi chip)
Asus RTX 2070 GPU
Samsung 970 Evo NVMe ssd as a OS drive (Probably will get another one for this)

I want to install Big Sur on this setup, now I know that the hardware is mostly supported, but I have some questions regarding the GPU and the install.

The GPU:
2070 isnt supported by any mac install so I know Im going to have to utilize the iGPU on my I9, but Im struggling to understand how this works with the headless setup vs. non-headless setup. Can I disable my 2070, setup the UHD 630 headless and use the displayoutput from my 2070 with GPU acceleration from the iGPU? Or do I have to connect another display cable straight from the mobo for when the computer is running OSX?

The install:
I want to dualboot this. This computer is my development/gaming rig, but right now outside of Gaming and straight up .net development I prefer using a OSX enviroment. So how hard is it going to be to get this dualbooting windows 10 and OSX Big Sur (Or Catalina if thats easier). Right now I only have one 512Gb OS drive in my system, but if this setup that Ive described over can work then Im going to obtain another one to have the OS' on separate drives with a shared Data drive

Edit: Could I straight up bootcamp it? Or would that not work on separate drives?

These are probably trivial questions that I cant find answers I understand for so hoping someone here can shed some light on it for me.
The Mobo is running the latest bios (F11c) and the Intel WifI chip is supported by itlwm.kext so Im planning to attempt to use that, if that fails then I have a Netgear A6150 USB card that has drivers for Osx so I can always just use that one instead.
The SSD has been upgraded to a firmware that is supported by Osx.

No boot camp, do not use the same drives. You can disable 2070 with an SSDT and use IGPU but you would need a DP or HDMI from the motherboard to your monitor you will not use the 2070 display out. Intel Wifi chip does not work maybe the netgear usb will work.

Many people like to use Clover bootloader because it supports Windows and MacOS without issue but to boot the next OS Big Sur you need to use a funky hacked clover bootloader that has embedded with Open core. I say use Open core to boot MacOS and use the bios boot picker to switch between macOS and Windows drives.

No boot camp, do not use the same drives. You can disable 2070 with an SSDT and use IGPU but you would need a DP or HDMI from the motherboard to your monitor you will not use the 2070 display out. Intel Wifi chip does not work maybe the netgear usb will work.

Many people like to use Clover bootloader because it supports Windows and MacOS without issue but to boot the next OS Big Sur you need to use a funky hacked clover bootloader that has embedded with Open core. I say use Open core to boot MacOS and use the bios boot picker to switch between macOS and Windows drives.
Yea okay that makes sense.
My plan was to use OpenCore. I use that on my laptop with Big Sur Beta 10 without issues so I know it works, but Im not sure if I want to try for Big Sur here or if I should just go the safe and tried way of Catalina. Thank you for clearing up the whole headless vs non-headless thing. I feared it was like that, but I wasnt sure!

My current plan looks as follows then:
2 Nvme SSDs: 1 windows, 1 Osx
Disable RTX 2070 and have HDMI from Mobo, need to find a solution for the second screen
USB Wifi card, which is fine. Dualboot via Bios.

Will return with progress shots on this. I got it installed on the separate drive, but it doesnt boot, which Im sure is just a matter of figuring out the kext, config.plist situation

Get used AMD RX 560 card just stay away from XFX or be ready to flash the bios with another brand like Saphire.
Nah dude, no room. Also have a dedicated soundcard. Or I absolutely would

Sounds like you should have two desktops one for each OS then.
Haha don't think I havent been thinkin bout it, but I dont have room for 2 PCs or I absolutely wouldve just purposebuilt a desktop for Osx

Haha don't think I havent been thinkin bout it, but I dont have room for 2 PCs or I absolutely wouldve just purposebuilt a desktop for Osx
2018 mac mini? Comes with 4 thunderbolts all capable of video output from the UHD 630 it also has a T2 chip. If you do the memory upgrade yourself you can save a good deal.

There is also Thermaltake core W200 XL ATX case that supports two systems thought it is like $500.00 case.

2018 mac mini? Comes with 4 thunderbolts all capable of video output from the UHD 630 it also has a T2 chip. If you do the memory upgrade yourself you can save a good deal.

There is also Thermaltake core W200 XL ATX case that supports two systems thought it is like $500.00 case.
I mean yea theres the itx builds, but with that comes either the need to switch over peripherals or something like a kvm switch and at that point Id rather have the fun troubleshooting and setting up a dualbooting system like this one. I dont really need the gpu power in osx, so the uhd630 is enough for what I need it for. Getting a dual system case would just present the same space issue in a different way

Simple solutions always win. I would suggest : sell 2070 and buy 5700xt. Win/Win scenario both in win10 and osx. Uhd630 in long run will make you headaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back