i3-3220
Graphics
GTX 650
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi guys, I am thinking of building an older higher performance hackintosh for very cheap. Although, since these are older parts, I need to make sure they will work.

Motherboard: ASUS P5B SE LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX

CPU: INTEL CORE 2 EXTREME 6800 SL9S5 2.93GHZ/4M/1066/05B SOCKET 775 PROCESSOR

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 4870x2

RAM: PQI 4GB (2x 2GB) DDR2 800 PC2-6400 Desktop Memory Performance PQI26400-4GDB

These are all of the parts that I found that are extremely cheap and can actually do a decent job performance wise. I don't want anyone to try and persuade me into buying new modern parts, because this is just an experiment I am trying. All I want to know is if these parts will be compatible with Snow Leopard, Lion, or Mountain Lion. Any reply's would be much appreciated! Thanks a lot!
Tanner

Your GPU is not supported. :confused:
My fault. It is.:) I mean with edits it should work but max. on Lion.

So this system will work then? :D

Hard to say. It depends on how much time, will power and patience you have.:)

What about just a regular HD 4870? Will I be able to get mountain lion going on one of those? I could spend just as much money and get something like a HD 7770. I just don't know how well 7xxx series are supported. For a $150 price max, could you point me in the right direction of a decent GFX card? :)

What about just a regular HD 4870? Will I be able to get mountain lion going on one of those? I could spend just as much money and get something like a HD 7770. I just don't know how well 7xxx series are supported. For a $150 price max, could you point me in the right direction of a decent GFX card? :)
I would try it with your existing card and just then buy a new card, if it's necessary.
The HD7xxx series are not supported.;)

I think I'll go for another 6870. There's no way i'm ripping apart my crossfire 6870 black editions in my main gaming rig ;)

So put the video cards aside, is the CPU and Mobo supported?

So, I did some more searching, and came out with this.

GPU: GIGABYTE GV-R687OC-1GD Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express CrossFireX

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L ATX Motherboard Intel P45 + ICH10 DDR2 PCI-E x16 USB 2.0

Seeing as the 6870 is nearly fully supported, and this is a gigabyte motherboard, I figured it will be just that more compatible. Any more ideas?

Tanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back