Contribute
Register

Will this build work with Mavericks (Z68X-UD3H-B3)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all. First post here! I'm strongly considering building a hackintosh and have quickly read over the installation process and parts compatibility to get a general sense of how to get one up and running. But before I actually purchase said parts, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my custom build with regards to installing OS X Mavericks 10.9. So heres the run down...

Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
Gigabyte Radeon R7 240 2GB DDR3
Intel Core-i5 3570K (Ivy Bridge)
Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
Cooler Master i600 600W power supply
TP-Link TL-WDN 4800
Seagate 500GB 2.5" HDD
havent thought of a case yet.

If you're questioning some of my parts, I am building this with spares and gifts (motherboard and video card). My research so far has told me the motherboard, HDD, CPU and network adaptor will definitely work on Mavericks. My biggest concern is with regards to the video card. I haven't found much information regarding the R7 and hackintosh-ing. So does anyone have a general idea if this build will work? Should i opt for some other parts? Should i continue this build without the video card? Please keep in mind I want to keep this build around $350-400 Should i instead install Mountain Lion? Thanks guys and Merry Christmas!!

for a sandy bridge board you should use a sandy bridge CPU - i5 2xxx series
it can be done with mixed parts, but better if they should match.

I have the same board, running Mavericks 10.9.1 on it pretty much flawlessly. Its a near perfect board for Hackintosh IMO. (Haven't tried 10.9.2 yet on it.)

I agree with Going Bald, I would go with a Sandybridge CPU with that board. I heard of people getting boot loop problems when using IvyBridge CPUs with it, although you might check and see if BIOS updates have addressed that, I have no idea.

A CPU like 2x00k will still give you very respectable performance, although the downside is they've kept their value and are hard to find cheap.

Video card- I have no idea, but if you can't find much info on people using it successfully then it could be a big red flag that it may not work. To be safe, get a CPU with supported graphics and you can use the onboard video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back