Contribute
Register

Will this build work for El Capitan and/or Sierra? (modified december buyer's guide)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey,
I want to replace my current PC with a hackintosh, for which I'll be buying most of the parts, I only have the SSD for the build currently (Samsung 840 EVO 250GB).

The machine wouldn't be used for gaming by any means, but will be used for web development, as well as the usual office + web surf use. It should also support 2 displays (2x Dell U2412M).

Please advise on these parts:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI
CPU: Intel Core i5 6600
CPU Cooler: The one included with the CPU or Thermaltake Slim X3 Low Profile (Air) (is there any justification for the Thermaltake one? Is the one included with the CPU not good enough?)
GPU: EVGA GT 740 SC (single slot)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C14
SSD: (As mentioned above) Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - will be used for the OS and various files
HDD: Seagate ST2000DM001 (Ideally partitioned into 2x1TB, one for backups and one for misc. files)
Case: Sharkoon QB ONE or Antec ISK600
PSU: CX Series CX450M or CX Series CX430 (I saw that the Sharkoon case isn't compatible with modular PSUs).

I mostly took the CustoMac Mini build from the December Buyer's Guide and modified components which aren't available in my country (the only things I'm importing from overseas are the GPU and CPU Cooler as of now). And so wanted to see if the modified parts will work with El Capitan and/or Sierra.

A few more questions I had and would appreciate an answer to:
  1. Can I use the internal graphics (HD530) for the dual monitor setup? Or will I have to get the GPU for it? Without hot-plugging ideally. The internal graphics should be able to handle it since I don't game etc. and I wouldn't want to spend an extra $100 for something I don't need.
  2. Is the memory (RAM) branch of any importance? The only recommended brand in the buyer's guide is Crucial.
  3. Will the PSU be able to handle all of the above? I calculated that I need about half of what it's able to put out but want to make sure, especially since EVGA's website for the GPU says to use a PSU with a minimum of 400 Watt. Plus, I'm no expert here.
  4. Will the case I chose fit all of the above?
  5. The Sharkoon is cheaper by about $25 than the Antec. Any preference between them?
  6. How about WiFi/Bluetooth, I didn't find a conclusive answer to whether or not I can use the onboard one from the motherboard, or do I need to purchase an additional PSI one.
Thanks.

Last edited:
What Doesn't Work At All
  • With HD 530 integrated graphics only:
    • Retina resolutions above 1080p Retina when using a 4K monitor
    • Two simultaneous 4K monitors
    • Audio over HDMI
  • Intel i211 Ethernet port (the port above the USB3 type C connector) -- reasonably often gets a kernel panic during startup or regular operation
  • The Intel WiFi that the board ships with
  • HD movie previews in iTunes, suggesting that any rented or purchased movies may not work.
The only portion I can speak to is your onboard wifi question - it doesn't work so you'll need to replace it. See:https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-el-capitan-on-the-skylake-h170n-wifi.178197/

The PSU should easily be able to handle your hardware and the 740 graphics card. Even if you used a GTX 950. Dual monitors with HD530, as long as they're not 4K shouldn't be a problem either. Search the User Builds for the H170N-Wifi to see what others have used for wifi/BT solutions. If you case choice can fit all the hardware you could use it. How well you can cool it all is another question you need to ask.

Hello The_Ben,
For the CPU stock cooler should be fine. The other one that is recommended is only if you need low profile. Also look at the PSU compatibility for the cases. The Sharkoon looks like it would fit SFX PSU. It says SFX/ATX but then it says not compatible with modular ATX.

I am interested in an answer to the onboard HDMI video question. If somebody is not a gamer, can they use onboard video with a build like this?

I am interested in an answer to the onboard HDMI video question. If somebody is not a gamer, can they use onboard video with a build like this?
Why not ?

Why not ?
Thanks

I am looking at this board from the January buyer's guide:
GA-Z170X-UD3 Ultra

Will the onboard HDMI output (or mini DisplayPort via thunderbolt) work if I have the i7 proc from the same buyer's guide? Any issues getting audio to work via HDMI/DIsplayport?

(That is an issue I am having on my current Lenovo that I tried to Hackintosh... before I spend serious money I'd like to make sure I have a good chance of it all working). Thanks

You'll need to start your own thread in Buying advice. List all of the hardware, not just the motherboard. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back