Graphics
MSI GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm finally diving in and planning on building a hackintosh. I plan on building one similar to the mid-range hackintosh featured on Lifehacker, the one with the BitFenix Prodigy case. Im a little worried that my build may overheat though. Here is my complete build:

Intel Core i7 (Ivy Bridge) 3.4ghz

GIGABYTE GA-Z77N-WIFI LGA 1155 Intel Z77

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LP 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR3 SDRAM 1600

CORSAIR ENTHUSIAST SERIES TX650M 650w ATX12v

EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2662-KR GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express Videocard

Seagate 2TB 7200 RPM Sata HDD

Kingston 240gb Hyperx SSD (I already own this SSD)

and of course...

BitFenix Prodigy (Im thinking arctic white, although I may go blue)

I plan on using the stock i7 fan. Will this be enough in this smaller enclosure? This is my first build of a computer. (I have taken them apart, replaced memory, HDD, SDD, CPU & MOBO, but never built from scratch). Also, since I will be using the video card, are there any alternatives for wifi? fast enough to game and stream hd movies.

Thanks for taking the time to read this

I'm finally diving in and planning on building a hackintosh. I plan on building one similar to the mid-range hackintosh featured on Lifehacker, the one with the BitFenix Prodigy case. Im a little worried that my build may overheat though. Here is my complete build:

EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2662-KR GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express Videocard

and of course...

I plan on using the stock i7 fan. Will this be enough in this smaller enclosure? This is my first build of a computer. (I have taken them apart, replaced memory, HDD, SDD, CPU & MOBO, but never built from scratch). Also, since I will be using the video card, are there any alternatives for wifi? fast enough to game and stream hd movies.

Based on what I've read about it (not on personal experience), the BitFenix case has well-designed airflow and is large for a Mini-ITX case, so I doubt there will be any problems.

Thanks for both of your responses. I feel more comfortable running fans now. Im going to pick up 2 more fans. Should i use negative or positive flow?

so I finally got my parts in and put them together. Keep in mind this is my first build from scratch. I am horrible at cable management. Having said that attached are pictures of my build. Will these cables get in the way too much? What about overheating? While adjusting settings in the BIOS on my MOBO my cpu got up to around 54 degrees celcius. Isnt that too hot? Any tips on how to clean it up?

Thanks!

Case.jpgCase1.jpg

Cable management have an effect to the temperature, like you've done, I think you're gonna have more °C. Try to improve it :D

Yea Ive been working on installing OSX but had no luck so far, but my cpu temp is floating around 50 @ idle. I have a i7 3770. Do i need a water cooler?

and of course...

Spend time to dress and tie down the internal cables with all of the excess length dressed below the motherboard.

Then consider modding the front panel to open it up for better air flow. The White BitFenix Prodigy front panel has restricted air flow as compared to the black one. You can see the impact of the restrictive front panel once you have your system running by removing the panel.

Good modding,
neil

Spent a couple of hours today reorganizing the cables. I googled a few tips on how to do this, but I still feel like a complete n00b. Cable management seems like an art to me. Anyway, I stuffed a lot of the excess cables in the same area as the PSU. Is this safe? I dont want that to overheat and fry some cables or the PSU. Tonight was a much cooler night than when I originally checked CPU temps (which was around 54 celsius) so I expected a big decrease in temps. I ran two different tests at idle on the UEFI. The first time I took off the front panel and the temps were around 39-40 celsius. Then I tried it with the front panel on (I have the white BitFenix Prodigy) and temps rose to 45 celsius.

This makes me a bit nervous because it was abnormally cool where I live, so these temps will rise when normal weather comes back, im thinking back up to 45-50 celsius. We have no AC so it is hard to regulate temps in my room. I've been looking around and been seeing people with the same CPU getting temps around 30c at idle. I am considering buying a Corsair h50 water cooler because my house gets so hot and I feel it will affect my cpu temps. I have also purchased the mesh front panel for the case.

Sorry for the rant. Here are the pictures of the newly organized case. Let me know what you think and if you have any additional suggestions.

Reorg.jpgReorg1.jpg

Its missing the video card just so you can view it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back