Contribute
Register

Will the MSI Z87I motherboard be compatible for hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I want to build a Mini-ITX build and want to dual boot mac and Windows 8, I know that Gigabyte's boards are the most compatible but I don't like that they don't put heatsinks for the VRMs on their Mini-ITX boards. So I found the MSI Z87I, but will it be compatible? If not what are other ITX boards besides Gigabyte that are compatible with hackintosh?

Hi

I Have the AC Gaming edition of the MSI Z87i and while it did take some extra effort, its all working.

The only caveat is to get a replacement mini PCIe WiFi board. I got an Atheros AR9285 from ebay with next day delivery for £7. That gets recognised easily as an Airport card.

The sound and the LAN took some extra work, but as I enjoy this sort of challenge; I didn't mind.

I used the no DSDT method with Multibeast.

I am using CloverEFI as my bootloader and run a UEFI only dual boot system with Win8.1/OSX 10.9.2 each on its on physical disk.

Hi Costa Bunny,

I have the same configuration like you are using. Managed already to "hack" Bios and setup Maverics. Could you help me choosing the right configuration in Multibeast-Maverics 6.2.1 and provide the right kexts? Sound, LAN and booting from HDD is not working yet.

I was reading that you installed a new wifi card to your mainboard, I still have the original one and hope that it will become supported in the future. Right now Wifi is not this important, if LAN will work properly.

TIA

Steffen

UPDATE:

Everything, exept WIFI, is working well for me now. :headbang:

Costa Bunny,

I'm using the MSI Z87Iac, non-gaming Mother board. You said the LAN and Audio took extra work? What did you mean?

MultiBeast 6.0 does not load the drivers for the 8111 chip, nor the 892 Realtek; even though it says it does?

What did you have to do?

Update: My solution was simple; update to MultiBeast 6.3 and rerun using No DSDT as default and added the drivers for the 8111 and 892. Everything seems to be OK; except WiFi as noted many, many times. I don't use HDMI on this machine; so, cannot tell if it works or NOT?

Hi

I Have the AC Gaming edition of the MSI Z87i and while it did take some extra effort, its all working.

The only caveat is to get a replacement mini PCIe WiFi board. I got an Atheros AR9285 from ebay with next day delivery for £7. That gets recognised easily as an Airport card.

The sound and the LAN took some extra work, but as I enjoy this sort of challenge; I didn't mind.

I used the no DSDT method with Multibeast.

I am using CloverEFI as my bootloader and run a UEFI only dual boot system with Win8.1/OSX 10.9.2 each on its on physical disk.

I'm facing some problem with booting option on the same mother board

my config is :
1) INTEL CORE I5 4th Gen 4440
2) MB MSI Z87i Gaming ac
3) 4 GB DDR3 Hyper x Fury edition 1866 Mhz
4) 500 Gb Hdd toshiba

i'm unable to boot even to the install screen

i have already tried using following option
1) -v ncpi=0x3000 PCIRootUID=0 dart=0
2) -fGraphicsEnabler=Yes
3) -fGraphicsEnabler=No
4) -x
5) GraphicsEnabler=Yes
6) GraphicsEnabler=No

Kindly suggest

Regards

How did you get the audio working correctly??

Hi Costa Bunny,

I have the same configuration like you are using. Managed already to "hack" Bios and setup Maverics. Could you help me choosing the right configuration in Multibeast-Maverics 6.2.1 and provide the right kexts? Sound, LAN and booting from HDD is not working yet.

I was reading that you installed a new wifi card to your mainboard, I still have the original one and hope that it will become supported in the future. Right now Wifi is not this important, if LAN will work properly.

TIA

Steffen

UPDATE:

Everything, exept WIFI, is working well for me now. :headbang:

sorry peeps been out of action for quite a while (health)....

quick update - the MSI Z87i was a great little performer (after swapping out the WiFi for a compatible one).

Currently I am on a Asus ROG Maximus Hero VII Z97 board and Yosemite (using the tony approved method, and adding my clover after).

will have to update when I (if ever it seems) get the ALC1150 Audio to work :(

until then - keep swimming....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back