Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2048 MB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
anyone know if a PC headset will work for a hackintosh? maybe like the Z6a Turtle beaches, or the razer headsets? i was planing on buying surround sound headsets that would require a digital/optical output, and/or in line, microphone, sub woofer,etc. if i use these outputs, will it work for the mac side? or will it need a driver.

thanks for the help in advance!:)

I know my optical surround sound works for my Stereo receiver just fine and it is only connects via optical so it doesn't utilize any one system for hardware support, if the headphones are the same I dont see why they wouldn't work.

I also use the Corsair gaming headset on both my hacks via the USB port and it picks it up as such and the headphones did not show OS X support, only Windows, I took the chance because they also unplug from the USB section and go to the 3.5 Audio jack and just like the optical you do not utilize hardware support that way.

Here is conformation

Since these headphones are marketed as a 'USB universal' product I thought it would be a good move to fire up my Mac with the Megalodon plugged into a free USB port and see what happened.
Well, the first thing I noticed is that OS X does not instantly recognize these headphones and enable them like XP does. Instead they must be selected in the settings menu, but once this is done, everything is fine and they come to life instantly.

During my testing I actually did quite a bit under OS X and I never had an issue with this headset. I'm happy to conclude that this headset is quite the universal companion from what I've seen.

Read more at http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/29...aming_headset/index5.html#GQroFUFrgV3AWs5u.99

Also

http://www.amazon.ca/product-reviews/B002EVPBH0/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop/183-3653846-2332221?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R1UOLWFYEKLMY5

But will the mic work? thats one of my main concerns...

Hi Kevin,

If the headset uses analog connectors (AKA stereo mini-jack 3.5mm[the kind that end in a point]), then it should work OOB with a few caveats:
1. You must have your audio correctly set up for the type of output you want. For true surround (not just mirroring/speaker fill), this involves creating an aggregate device in Audio Midi Setup composed of all the outputs needed.
2. Make sure you have connected everything properly, lol.

For USB devices, check the manufacturer's website for the device you are considering. Try a google search like ( "megalodon osx" site:razer.com )
Also many times the box of the product will have an icon showing that it supports OSX.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back