Motherboard
ASRock Z68 Pro3-M
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
HD4000
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I am looking to build a gaming desktop, and aim at either 9900 or 10900 with Gigabyte motherboard. For gaming, a 3080 would be perfect but 6800XT works as well. If it OSX supports 6800XT, then I would get it to either build a hackintosh or dual boot. If not, then I would have the choice to get either 6800XT or 3080. What's your thoughts?

I am looking to build a gaming desktop, and aim at either 9900 or 10900 with Gigabyte motherboard. For gaming, a 3080 would be perfect but 6800XT works as well. If it OSX supports 6800XT, then I would get it to either build a hackintosh or dual boot. If not, then I would have the choice to get either 6800XT or 3080. What's your thoughts?

It is a new card not sure anyone knows if it will be supported or not yet. I would guess that in the future it will be supported because as far as I can tell apple plans to continue to support Egpu with the new apple silicon Macs. However, the 3080 will not be supported unless apple does a 360 on supporting Nvidia hardware.

I would bet on the 6xxx series being supported around Big Sur 11.1/11.2.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the (eventual, 2-years-from-now) ARM Mac Pro continues to support discrete GPUs well into the future.

No. macOS 11 may support however.

Who knows at this point? We will just have to see. Although I would like to believe the RX 6000 series will be supported in a future release of Big Sur.

I confirm, my OpenCore config won’t finalise the boot sequence at this stage with a Radeon 6800XT (replaces a Radeon VII, which works flawlessl). I’m waiting for the 11.1 release to retry with these drivers...

I confirm, my OpenCore config won’t finalise the boot sequence at this stage with a Radeon 6800XT (replaces a Radeon VII, which works flawlessl). I’m waiting for the 11.1 release to retry with these drivers...
Would also love to know that.

What do you guys think about Apple maybe still making a Rocket Lake CPU based Mac?

Would also love to know that.

What do you guys think about Apple maybe still making a Rocket Lake CPU based Mac?
My guess is no, they released a refresh of the iMac already this year with intel and my guess is that the next iMac Refresh next year will be moving to Apple Silicon. That leaves the MacBook Pro 16" as it is people are already annoyed they bought one last year and this change is taking place now. While apple has employed the tools to allow these Intel based Laptops to continue to work long into the future I do not see another intel refresh on MacBook Pro 16", iMac, or iMac Pro. I would guess that the next step on the Mac Pro would be to remove the 8 core and make the 10 core base at the same price point until they are ready in 2022 to release ARM based Mac Pro.

Of course the 6800/6900xt will be supported. The drivers are nearly ready...

My guess is no, they released a refresh of the iMac already this year with intel and my guess is that the next iMac Refresh next year will be moving to Apple Silicon. That leaves the MacBook Pro 16" as it is people are already annoyed they bought one last year and this change is taking place now. While apple has employed the tools to allow these Intel based Laptops to continue to work long into the future I do not see another intel refresh on MacBook Pro 16", iMac, or iMac Pro. I would guess that the next step on the Mac Pro would be to remove the 8 core and make the 10 core base at the same price point until they are ready in 2022 to release ARM based Mac Pro.
You could be right. Hope we can still use hackintosh with Rocket Lake. I’m at the point for a new hackintosh build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back