Contribute
Register

Will OSX be compatible with the new Ivy Bridge-E processors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Razer Blade 15 - Clover
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
UHD 630/GTX 1060 - 1920x1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Just what the title says. I'm looking to make upgrades to my system, but I've read in numerous different articles that Intel will be releasing the new Ivy Bridge-E Processors at the end of this month or beginning of September. (Specifically I'm looking at the 6 Core i7-4930K)

I've been wanting to build a CustoMac Socket for a few months now, but I think I want to wait for the new Ivy Bridge-E processors to be released, since they'll be brand new and updated, why not have the latest and greatest?. They're not the new Haswell, but we all know that Intel won't be releasing the E series of the Haswell processors for a good year or so.

But since the current Ivy Bridge Processors are compatible with OSX, will the new E series also be compatible? Is that how it worked with the Sandy Bridge E-Series? Or is it something not known until the processor is actually released?

Thanks for the help in advanced!

-Mike

As far as I know it will all depend on the new mac pro. If it will involve the 2011 socket in a way it will be fully compatible. Limited compatibility like now with the SB-E is pretty sure (though I don't have any facts). But I don't think anyone can tell atm. You will probably have to wait until september/october.

The new Ivy Bridge-E will be using the 2011 Socket. From what I've read, it looks like the IB-E will be using the same motherboards and the same socket as the SB-E's, the X79 version of motherboards. Which has me thinking that it should work like the SB-E processors do. But who knows with OSX lol

Apple advertises that the new Mac Pro uses a 12 core processor. There is currently no Sandy Bridge-E processors that have 12 cores but in the Ivy Bridge-E line there will be. So I am going to assume at this point that Mavericks will have support for Ivy Bridge-E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back