Contribute
Register

Will my old Intel Core2 Duo system work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have a:

Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 v1.0
Supports Intel® Core™2 Extreme Quad-Core / Core™2 Duo / Intel® Pentium® D processor
Supports 1066/800/533 MHz FSB
Chipset
Northbridge: Intel® P965 Express Chipset
Southbridge: Intel® ICH8
Marvell 8056 Gigabit LAN Controller
GIGABYTE SATAII controller
Realtek ALC883 8 Channel Audio Codec
Supports DDR2 800/667/533 memory
Dual Channel architecture support up to 8GB by 4 DIMM slots

Nvidia 9800GT

4 x 1 GB DDR2

2 x Seagate SATA HDD

Adaptec 39160

Will this system work for Snow Leo? I can do without the SCSI card if I have to :)

Anyone? I searched the forum for "965" but didn't find anything relevant.

Its running good for me.. I still need to work on getting sleep to work correctly and the audio is only working 2 channel from the rear... other than that I'm running great on 10.6.6. My board is the later version 3.3?? I think it was. Im not sure if that makes a difference.

I'm really happy with how its running. Drop me a PM if you need the kext I'm using for network and audio. I think I got them from kext.com

Let us know how you make out.

Will do. Thanks for the help! I know nothing about OSX, but have always wanted to try it. I hope this all works out! Hey, would you recommend me removing the Adaptec SCSI card before I attempt the install? I guess I could always try it first & then remove it if it's giving me probs.

You'll be okay, I just started on it last week. It took me the whole week to sort everything out. One thing I did wrong was not read more. Follow the instructions and if you not sure don't guess, stop and ask. I had to restart the process 3 times because I did stupid stuff.

Stick with it.. the result will pay off

edit:

I missed your question in my post. When I installed I followed it completely. So just MB, 4 GB RAM, HDD (clean), Video card.. It was the post-installation that I acted like an idiot and tried to click my way through and got screwed up.

So start here and ask Q's if your not sure..

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... -x-on.html

Ok, I sat down tonight to start this little project but didn't get too far. I get an error and am prompted to shutdown the computer pretty much 2 seconds after I hit the iboot icon. I think the problem is that my dvd writer is IDE. I will take it out & slip it into a USB enclosure to see if that changes anything. If not I'll try and pick up a SATA unit later this week.

ron_jeremy said:
I have a:

Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 v1.0
Supports Intel® Core™2 Extreme Quad-Core / Core™2 Duo / Intel® Pentium® D processor
Supports 1066/800/533 MHz FSB
Chipset
Northbridge: Intel® P965 Express Chipset
Southbridge: Intel® ICH8
Marvell 8056 Gigabit LAN Controller
GIGABYTE SATAII controller
Realtek ALC883 8 Channel Audio Codec
Supports DDR2 800/667/533 memory
Dual Channel architecture support up to 8GB by 4 DIMM slots

Nvidia 9800GT

4 x 1 GB DDR2

2 x Seagate SATA HDD

Adaptec 39160

Will this system work for Snow Leo? I can do without the SCSI card if I have to :)

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8480&p=68285&hilit=965p#p68285

:cool:

EDIT: Ugh, nevermind... slightly different motherboard.

I ended up buying a SATA dvdrw drive & removing my old IDE unit. After a week of trying countless configuration variables I am still unable to get iboot to boot. I made sure AHCI & S3 were enabled (they both already were to begin with) & removed everything else from the system, but still iboot just dumps immediately after being selected.

Looks like my particular 965 chipset board is a no-go :(

iboot_error.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back