Contribute
Register

Will my Nvidia Graphics Card work with macOS ? List of Desktop Cards with Native Support

I'm amazed Kepler support has lasted this long, since the well-publicised spat between Apple and NVidia is over three years' ago now. Dropping Ivy Bridge support (as used by the Mac Mini 2012, still IMHO the best Mac Mini until at least the M1) is significant, as that's metal compatible.
I'm half-convinced it stayed because they mostly forgot it existed. Their last Kepler-equipped Macs run 10.13.6 max IIRC.

Kepler users now could apply ‘Post-Install Volume Patch’ of OCLP 0.2.5 to their macOS 12.0 Beta 7.

Kepler users now could apply ‘Post-Install Volume Patch’ of OCLP 0.2.5 to their macOS 12.0 Beta 7.
Since OCLP is not made for hacks, only real Macs, I'd suggest that people test out a Beta 7 USB installer first to prevent messing with their main system. It could render a hackintosh un-bootable. It will modify certain kexts that you don't want modified.

Last edited:
Since OCLP is not made for hacks, only real Macs, I'd suggest that people test out a Beta 7 USB installer first to prevent messing with their main system. It could render a hackintosh un-bootable. It will modify certain kexts that you don't want modified.
Yes it is very risky as it re-adds kexts from older versions of macOS to /System. The OCLP solution should be similar to the following tool, but becoming more comprehensive:

I'm half-convinced it stayed because they mostly forgot it existed. Their last Kepler-equipped Macs run 10.13.6 max IIRC.
The iMac14,2 from late-2013 runs macOS Catalina and the MacBook Pro 11,3 from mid-2014 runs Big Sur, natively. Both systems had Nvidia discrete graphics cards. The iMac had an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M and the MBP had an NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M. Both 2nd generation Kepler dGPU's.

These systems and possibly a few others are the reason Kepler drivers were retained in macOS up to the end of Big Sur.

The mid-2014 systems have just been cut off, as they approach the standard eight (8) years of support from Apple. I doubt many of the newest Intel systems will see eight years of support from Apple. Lucky if they see three, as Apple will drop Intel systems like they did the PowerPC systems when it is convenient for them.

I read through the OCLP guide and it is looking good. Good enough I might use it on my old 2010 iMac, which I have previously updated with an Nvidia Quadro K1100m card in place of the AMD/ATI 4650 that Apple provided when it was new. It already runs macOS High Sierra natively, the hack would be getting the unsupported Mac running Catalina or Big Sur. I am not interested in running Monterey, not really that fussed on Big Sur if I am honest.

I am sure the Nvidia aspects can be extracted from the OCLP setup files, once Monterey has been finalised/released. Until then there is no point doing so, as Apple could change the goalposts again, with the GM release.

This is not welcome news as I try to find a new budget card for my build.

Last edited:
This is not welcome news as I try to find a new budget card for my build.
Kepler support in Mojave through Big Sur doesn't go away just because it does in Monterey. You can still use these cards for many more years to come. Eventually AMD prices will come back down. It may be years rather than months for that to happen.

Hi

Sorry hope this is the is correct place to ask this question.

Recently purchased a quadro k2000 which is shown as being supported on osx, but for some reason I cannot get my machine to boot when I have the k2000 connect, if I revert back to my GT 710 it works fine.

I am using OC 6.3 on a Optiplex i5 6th gen which is running 11.5, are there any changes I need to make to the OC config for my machine to boot?

It gets to a blank screen with the mouse cursor.

Thank you

Back