Contribute
Register

Will my Nvidia Graphics Card work with macOS ? List of Desktop Cards with Native Support

Thank you Ed. That's a reasonable price. With the added taxes (due to Brexit) it'll be close to 500 Euro.

Scan in the UK is offering a brand new WX5100 for £381.98

These AMD cards work out of the box with no need for patchers or other kexts, the kexts are all natively within macOS.

I have a Mac Pro 3,1 since new and am trying to keep it for as long as I can since it does what I need.

Do you have an Apple Mac Pro or a hackintosh ?

I have a Mac Pro 3,1 since new and am trying to keep it for as long as I can
Good. Put that into your profile where you have "Original logic board" currently. Thanks in advance.

Ah, thank you. I wasn't sure what I should put there.

Good. Put that into your profile where you have "Original logic board" currently. Thanks in advance.

If you are not adverse to buying a second-hand graphics card then eBay may have some less expensive options.

Notice to Nvidia Kepler Graphics card owners that want to use Monterey:

Screen Shot.jpg

With macOS Monterey Beta 7 (21A5522h), Apple dropped support for Nvidia Kepler GPUs. To reimplement support, we will need to use Big Sur .bundle binaries due to issues with dyld extraction. Current...

It looks like all Kepler support will be dropped in the Monterey GM public release later this Fall. It may still be possible to use older Kepler based cards though. We all knew this would happen at some point. Lets see what solution the people at Acidanthera come up with for those that want to upgrade to Monterey eventually and keep using these graphics cards.​

Last edited:
Notice to Nvidia Kepler Graphics card owners that want to use Monterey:

View attachment 529443

With macOS Monterey Beta 7 (21A5522h), Apple dropped support for Nvidia Kepler GPUs. To reimplement support, we will need to use Big Sur .bundle binaries due to issues with dyld extraction. Current...

It looks like all Kepler support will be dropped in the Monterey GM public release later this Fall. It may still be possible to use older Kepler based cards though. We all knew this would happen at some point. Lets see what solution the people at Acidanthera come up with for those that want to upgrade to Monterey eventually.​

It is the similar situation comparing to HD 4000. OpenCore Legacy Patcher now supports it with conditions.
Ivy Bridge iGPU Acceleration (Resolved in 0.1.7 and newer)
  • Intel HD4000 iGPUs lost support
By default these machines require root volume patches to gain graphics acceleration in Monterey. OpenCore Legacy Patcher supports readding support however SIP can no longer be enabled due to root patching:
  • Macmini6,x
  • MacBookAir5,x
  • MacBookPro9,x
  • MacBookPro10,x

Thus, supporting Kepler again is possible but some functions cannot be enabled again, and macOS has to be patched again after each update.

It seems that OCLP nightly versions have provided the Kepler solution, but I don’t know if it would benefit Hackintosh builds.

RIP
Hopefully this can be fixed without too much insanity and modifications (then again I manually mapped my memory so I could use the MacPro7,1 UUID).

I can help provide data points if necessary - I have a GTX 690 and a GTX 650 Ti BOOST 2GB.

I'm amazed Kepler support has lasted this long, since the well-publicised spat between Apple and NVidia is over three years' ago now. Dropping Ivy Bridge support (as used by the Mac Mini 2012, still IMHO the best Mac Mini until at least the M1) is significant, as that's metal compatible.

I have a Mac Pro 3,1 since new and am trying to keep it for as long as I can since it does what I need.
Same here - my boss bought the 3,1 brand new in 2008 for £2,500 (or thereabouts) and I got it about six years later. I'm not using it as my daily driver currently, but it only got retired a few weeks ago after the temperature of the RAM riser started reaching 90C, causing the fans to run all the time and report anything between 16, 24 or 32GB installed. I can't bear to part with it, having spent a significant amount of of time, effort and fun keeping it up to date and running Big Sur properly.

Back