Contribute
Register

Will my Nvidia Graphics Card work with macOS ? List of Desktop Cards with Native Support

Which Graphics Processor is your GTX 660 Ti using - GK104 or GK106?

If it is the GK106 then it is not natively supported, only the cards with GK104 Graphics Processors will work natively with macOS and the Nvidia drivers provided by with the OS by Apple.

I have a pair of GTX 660's that use the GK106 processor, and while they work OK in Mavericks, Yosemite etc. once macOS was updated to Mojave they showed graphical artifacts. I replaced one with a GTX 690, which has a dual Graphics Processor, and the other with a GTX 780 Ti, both of which work as well as my GTX 1060 6GB card worked under High Sierra with the Web Drivers.

Last edited:
GTX 1080 Ti does not work fine in Catalina, as there are no Web Drivers or Apple supplied Nvidia drivers for the Pascal series of GPU's. It may work with the High Sierra Web Drivers, using a fix to prevent the drivers baulking at the wrong version of macOS. But expect the drivers to be glitchy.

The Pascal series of cards has never been natively supported by Apple, as none of their systems use a Pascal GPU.

@n3m3basat Looking at the version of Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext plus your config.plist Graphics & Device settings would be a good place to start.

Could also be an issue with the Apple Nvidia drivers not loading correctly. My personal opinion is that Catalina is not fit for purpose, there are still too many issues with this latest version of macOS.

I try booth, WhateverGreen and Lilu kext to install with Hackintool, but I get some invalid signature.
I'd like to keep this thread on topic of which Nvidia cards work with Mojave/Catalina. It's not for support and/or troubleshooting problems of a specific card. Thanks in advance.

From post #2 of this thread:
This Thread is Open for General Comments only

Not a support thread - Post in the Graphics Forum for Help/Support

Last edited:
@n3m3basat the important part in those lines of text is the ‘Allowed’ part!

This is normal and what you want to see when using Hackintool to install any Kexts to /Library/Extensions folder.

Quadro K2000 ~ Best Budget 4K Nvidia card for Mojave/Catalina
These GK107 based workstation cards made their debut in 2013 at a retail price of $599.

Screen Shot 21.jpg

They are a year older than the GT 710 but are twice as powerful as that low end card.
Screen Shot 22.jpg

The K2000s are now selling for about the retail price of a GT 710 2GB, 45 USD on Ebay. So they are the better value.
Note that the K2000s will not work in a low profile only computer case. It's a full height card. The GT 710 can be used with a LP bracket. You can connect two 4K displays to the DP outputs of a K2000. Use it for coding or CAD work.

1577630209148.png

Note that the K2000 cards will likely lose support after macOS Catalina but at this low price they are a real bargain right now. If you want a new one they are selling for about 150 USD on Amazon. Here's one Amazon review of the card:
I bought this video card for 3D production (modeling and sculpting) and although there are better options available this is a great video card for someone on a budget looking to do modeling . This is NOT a gaming card and you will not be pleased with its performance if that is your intended use. This product has been designed to optimize the viewport of 3D applications and it offers stellar performance for this (considering it is a 2 GB card) as well as having rock solid stability (no crashes). It runs at a low temperature which in turn improves stability of all other components in your system and it also has a relatively low power consumption.

Last edited:
well time to buy a new video card

So I'm a complete Noob with Apple. I'm a student doing a course in film studies. Normally all the computer gear we use is on campus. My country has been put into lockdown with the Corona Virus. We now will be taught online for the foreseeable future. So I quickly needed to get hold of a computer before courier deliveries stopped. All I needed was something to do light editing with Final Cut Pro X, Zoom video conferencing, and maybe a bit of sound with Logic. So I bought this iMac from an online company who sell ex-lease / refurbished machines (Specs below - all I could afford as student / troubled times / no time):

After reading this thread I'm worried the Graphics: Dedicated NVIDIA GT750M 1GB Dedicated Graphics Card isn't going to work with the Catalina OS. The computer has arrived but I can't use it as it was shipped without the keyboard and mouse!

It would be fantastic if someone could take a minute to set me straight whether it has drivers, or, not and if it will work?

I know it might be a bit slow but I'm only shooting a bit of 1080p as a beginner and adding audio TBH.

Thanks so much; I'm sorta freaking out I'll be stuck with a lemon....

Pedro

....21.5″ 1920×1080 LED-backlit 16:9 widescreen IPS display with the “cover glass fully laminated to the LCD and anti-reflective coating.” The rear of the case is aluminum and is thicker in the middle and tapers to a razor thin 5 mm at the edges.

Specification:
* Processor Speed: 2.9GHz
* Processor Type: Core i5 (I5-4570S) L1 Cache: 32k/32k L2/L3 Cache: 256k (x4), 6 MB
* Turbo Boost: 3.2 GHz
* Memory: 8GB
* Storage Drive: 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD
* Optical Drive: None
* Graphics: Dedicated NVIDIA GT750M 1GB Dedicated Graphics
* 21.5″ Widescreen FULL HD LED Backlit, Hi Res Glossy (1920 x 1080) Screen 16:9 widescreen TFT active matrix display with IPS technology
* WiFi (802.11a/b/g/n)
* Bluetooth
* Webcam
* High Definition Audio
* Standard AirPort: 802.11a/b/g/n
* Standard Bluetooth: 2.0+EDR
* USB Ports: 4 (3.0)
* Firewire Ports: 1 (800)

Software installed:
* OS Catalina

Broadband ready Just plug and play

Back