Contribute
Register

Will my Nvidia Graphics Card work with macOS ? List of Desktop Cards with Native Support

I like the Nvidia GPU. The question here is, even though it's back to Kepler's Nvidia, until when will Apple be supporting it?
I'm worried that 1-2 releases of new MacOs, Kepler will no longer be supported by Apple.
That is covered in the Q and A section in post #1.

Q: How long will these older Kepler based cards still be supported by macOS ?

It's probably a sure thing by 10.17 or whatever it is called then. There's no reason you couldn't run Catalina for the next 3 years and still be perfectly secure using that. All your browsers and 64 bit programs that work now should work in that time period too.

Last edited:
That is covered in the Q and A section in post #1.

Q: How long will these older Kepler based cards still be supported by macOS ?

It's probably a sure thing by 10.17 or whatever it is called then. There's no reason you couldn't run Catalina for the next 3 years and still be perfectly secure using that. All your browsers and 64 bit programs that work now should work in that time period too.

There is no more reason for hackintosh builders to keep using Nvidia. Really hope that Nvidia can stand with Apple again.

There is no more reason for hackintosh builders to keep using Nvidia.
There are three reasons I can think of. If you already have a Kepler card that still works, why not keep using it ? If you want to save money you can buy Kepler cards at a very large discount compared to AMD Polaris cards like the RX 580.

For example, a new 580 costs about $180. The Quadro NVS 510 can also give you 4K at 60Hz and will fit in pretty much any size case. Full height or half height. You can run up to four 4K monitors from it. I've seen the cost as low as 35 USD for one. For anyone that doesn't have a budget large enough for a newer AMD card it's a good reason to buy one.

The Kepler cards that work OOB have no problems with black screens and don't create sleep/wake issues like some of the AMD Polaris cards do. I've tested many Nvidia cards and sleep/wake works perfectly on the same machine that won't wake from sleep with an AMD card installed. For people that want everything fully working including sleep/wake it is a good reason to use one.

Last edited:
There are three reasons I can think of. If you already have a Kepler card that still works, why not keep using it ? If you want to save money you can buy Kepler cards at a very large discount compared to AMD Polaris cards like the RX 580.

For example, a new 580 costs about $180. The Quadro NVS 510 can also give you 4K at 60Hz and will fit in pretty much any size case. Full height or half height. You can run up to four 4K monitors from it. I've seen the cost as low as 35 USD for one. For anyone that doesn't have a budget large enough for a newer AMD card it's a good reason to buy one.

The Kepler cards that work OOB have no problems with black screens and don't create sleep/wake issues like some of the AMD Polaris cards do. I've tested many Nvidia cards and sleep/wake works perfectly on the same machine that won't wake from sleep with an AMD card installed. For people that want everything fully working including sleep/wake it is a good reason to use one.

Yes, in my opinion, I have to think about the time to avoid the GPU can not be used when the release of the latest MacOS which is no longer support the Kepler I will soon go to AMD which is fully supported by Apple. So we can enjoy the latest OS without having to buy a GPU again.

And for some problems with AMD I'm sure the forum will solve that.

I will soon go to AMD which is fully supported by Apple.
That's a good idea as it will have the longest term support.

2 questions

1.what would be the main differences for using SSDT, disabling discrete graphics opposed to just using nv_disable=???

2.I have a gtx 660ti and it does work with my rx590 in mojave (but) hardware acceleration cant be utilized; causing big lag. Are we just waiting for the webdriver to be released to fix that or is that just going to be part of using mojave from now on?

2 questions

1.what would be the main differences for using SSDT, disabling discrete graphics opposed to just using nv_disable=???

2.I have a gtx 660ti and it does work with my rx590 in mojave (but) hardware acceleration cant be utilized; causing big lag. Are we just waiting for the webdriver to be released to fix that or is that just going to be part of using mojave from now on?
1. The SSDT will completely disable it.
2. There's not going to be any web driver released for Mojave.
If there was we'd have it by now. Apple and Nvidia are not cooperating.

I have a gtx 660ti and it does work with my rx590 in mojave (but) hardware acceleration cant be utilized; causing big lag. Are we just waiting for the webdriver to be released to fix that or is that just going to be part of using mojave from now on?

It's been almost 2 years with no nVidia web drivers for Mojave and let alone Catalina. There are bad relationships between Nvidia and Apple. It all started when nVidia demanded Apple to pay license fees which Apple refused so that's why there are no native drivers for Maxwell/Pascal/AI Turning based nVidia cards. nVidia could produce web drivers for Mojave but they refused. I presume Apple didn't provide Metal specifications to nVidia or nVidia didn't see any real incentives to produce Metal capable drivers due to low market shares of macOS customers. It's all blame games to them right now.

It's been almost 2 years with no nVidia web drivers for Mojave and let alone Catalina. There are bad relationships between Nvidia and Apple. It all started when nVidia demanded Apple to pay license fees which Apple refused so that's why there are no native drivers for Maxwell/Pascal/AI Turning based nVidia cards. nVidia could produce web drivers for Mojave but they refused. I presume Apple didn't provide Metal specifications to nVidia or nVidia didn't see any real incentives to produce Metal capable drivers due to low market shares of macOS customers. It's all blame games to them right now.
Not a good situation definitely. I'd like to keep this thread on topic of Nvidia cards that do have native support in Mojave and Catalina. There are many other threads on the feud between the two companies. Readers can use search for those.

Last edited:
my gtx 1080ti works fine in Catalina :thumbup:

How is that then, without Nvidia drivers - or do you mean it gives a picture just without any acceleration?

Back