Contribute
Register

Will my Nvidia Graphics Card work with macOS ? List of Desktop Cards with Native Support

Why you shouldn't try patching Monterey or Ventura to use a Nvidia Kepler Graphics card
Many people are attempting this, using OCLP, OpenCore legacy patcher. This app is intended for use with Macs that Apple makes, not hackintoshes. The main developer of OCLP, Mykola, specifically states this yet many people ignore his advice.

I recently read a post by asusceleron that sums it all up very nicely. Someone claims they have a GT 730 somewhat working with Monterey. The title of the thread is:

Let's make the GT 730 (GK 208B) video card work with MacOS Monterey

This was the reply.
Came across your storyline, as a Windows Certified guru, I am telling you, don't be confused yourself by Apple's wordings. For example, drop Nvidia support means no DRIVER as in Windows. No Graphic Acceleration mean 256 colors like VGA, so it must result in broken graphics on modern applications. What OCLP did is similar to stealing Windows 7 Drivers to install to Windows 11. Soon you will see Xcode and Simulator crash and many more.​

For Monterey and all newer Intel macOS versions, a supported AMD card is the only way to go. Otherwise you are creating far too many compromises to make it worth even attempting. Just don't do it.

A new AMD RX6600 is not cheap but you get 100% OOB support including Metal 3. So if you need discrete graphics for video work or other purposes, invest in a name brand Radeon RX6600/6800 and it will be a much better experience with Monterey or Ventura.

Last edited:
Why you shouldn't try patching Monterey or Ventura to use a Nvidia Kepler Graphics card
Many people are attempting this, using OCLP, OpenCore legacy patcher. This app is intended for use with Macs that Apple makes, not hackintoshes. The main developer of OCLP, Mykola, specifically states this yet many people ignore his advice.

I recently read a post by asusceleron that sums it all up very nicely. Someone claims they have a GT730 somewhat working with Monterey. The title of the thread is:

Let's make the GT 730 (GK 208B) video card work with MacOS Monterey

This was the reply.

For Monterey and all newer Intel macOS versions, a supported AMD card is the only way to go. Otherwise you are creating far too many compromises to make it worth even attempting. Just don't do it.

Even on real Macs, installing old drivers to new versions of macOS is a bad idea.

Besides, why bother with a GT 730? Even UHD 630 outperforms it.

Besides, why bother with a GT 730?
I think it's mainly an economic decision. People already have these older Kepler cards that still function so they say: "why not just do something hacky to keep using it ? I don't want to pay over $250 for a new AMD RDNA2 card."

Even an old RX 580 used, performs close to many of the older high end Nvidia Kepler cards. Prices aren't as low as they should be but it is still way better than patching for unsupported Kepler cards.

Screen Shot 2.jpg

Last edited:
The XFX AMD Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX 8Gb is still holding at Best Buy for $150...
Best part is that it's new and never been placed in a mining rig for years at time, running too hot.

Last edited:
$99 on amazon
Which Amazon ? Is it renewed or brand new ? There are millions of retired 580s that were used for mining that the owners are trying to recover some money from. Some even leave the dual BIOS on the card. This image was on Amazon on a listing for a "renewed" 580.

51UWBQEO4LL._AC_SL1159_.jpg

For those using Monterey or newer the best option is a new RX 6600. Not that much more expensive.
Less risk when buying one.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back