Contribute
Register

Will my laptop work with El Capitan? (Lenovo G50-70)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lancer 5A2
CPU
i7 4510U Haswell ULT
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4400 & AMD Radeon HD 8500M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
TL; DR is on the title.
---
So, will my laptop work with El Capitan? I found a thread about installation, but i have some different parts.

Actually, i could install OS X (Yosemite, IIRC) to the laptop but it didn't install the bootloader so i couldn't boot.

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4400 and AMD Radeon HD 8500M
CPU: Intel Core i7-4510U
Mobo:
Code:
Manufacturer  Product     SerialNumber  Version
LENOVO        Lancer 5A2  YB06534661    31900059WIN

Output Of Command: "wmic baseboard get product,Manufacturer,version,serialnumber"

I can always give more info if needed and if i know how to get the info.

BTW, I have a Windows 10 and a Linux partition. (Both around 400GB) I want to install El Capitan onto the Linux Partition, is that possible? (I have a GPT partition table and a 100MB EFI partition. (I will try to resize it before the installation, through))

And (probably) the easiest question, will OS updates work with a Hackintosh?

TL; DR is on the title.
---
So, will my laptop work with El Capitan? I found a thread about installation, but i have some different parts.

Actually, i could install OS X (Yosemite, IIRC) to the laptop but it didn't install the bootloader so i couldn't boot.

Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

The guide you linked may provide additional post-install/system specific information.

You have to install a bootloader. PCs can't boot OS X natively.

BTW, I have a Windows 10 and a Linux partition. (Both around 400GB) I want to install El Capitan onto the Linux Partition, is that possible? (I have a GPT partition table and a 100MB EFI partition. (I will try to resize it before the installation, through))

EFI 100mb is not large enough...

OS X is not well behaved with disks partitioned by other than OS X Disk Utility, but there are things you can check/do.

See this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html

And (probably) the easiest question, will OS updates work with a Hackintosh?

If your setup is correct, you can update from the Mac App Store.

Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

The guide you linked may provide additional post-install/system specific information.

Thanks. I will keep it bookmarked for when the El Capitan finishes installing from the App Store

You have to install a bootloader. PCs can't boot OS X natively.

I said that because i used. Ehh. "Illegal" ways to install before. (And it probably didn't install the bootloader) But now, I'm trying to go full legit, and will probably install Clover by hand.

EFI 100mb is not large enough...

I know, i'm now thinking of just reformatting my HDD for the reasons after the next quote.

OS X is not well behaved with disks partitioned by other than OS X Disk Utility, but there are things you can check/do.

See this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html

Oh, ok. But then i'm probably going to repartition and install OS X before Windows (Is it doable?) to get the EFI partition to ~200MB and seperate games from programming and other stuff i like to use in a *nix environment.

If your setup is correct, you can update from the Mac App Store.

Oh, ok then.

Thanks for the help.

Oh, ok. But then i'm probably going to repartition and install OS X before Windows (Is it doable?)

Dual boot is covered in the Clover guide linked from the FAQ...

I think you have some reading to do.

Dual boot is covered in the Clover guide linked from the FAQ...

I think you have some reading to do.

I know. I just wanted to make sure the parts were compatible with OS X before diving deep into the reading part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back