Contribute
Register

Will Mojave or Catalina support the NEW Navi card out of the box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z390-E
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RTX 2060
Will Mojave or Catalina support the NEW Navi card out of the box? I am thinking of waiting or getting a 580

Will Mojave or Catalina support the NEW Navi card out of the box? I am thinking of waiting or getting a 580

Not sure anyone knows that answer since the cards are not here yet. I would guess that at some point the Navi cards will be supported Out of Box but maybe not for a few months. I think there were 2 or three build releases for Mojave before the Radeon VII was supported.

There were some Navi traces found in earlier builds of Mojave, not sure it's still there...

Most likely it will be supported. These GPUs are going to end up in the iMacs anyway.

See if Mojave 10.14.6 contains support for them when it is released. If the support is not there by that time, then probably it will be until Catalina until we see support for them.

With beta 8 i get Radeon 5700 XT recognized and discrebed as " Kext loaded, Metal Support" in System Properties.

But still my system is only booting with UHD 630 and monitor connected to this iGPU. (BIOS iGPU first)
Booting with 5700 XT connected to monitor leeds to black screen.
I think this is some WhatEverGreen.kext related stuff on 4k 5k Mac Definition and can be fixed with a simple upgrade of the fixing kext.
So support is basically there, think Navi (5700(XT)) will soon be working and fully supported.

With beta 8 i get Radeon 5700 XT recognized and discrebed as " Kext loaded, Metal Support" in System Properties.

But still my system is only booting with UHD 630 and monitor connected to this iGPU. (BIOS iGPU first)
Booting with 5700 XT connected to monitor leeds to black screen.
I think this is some WhatEverGreen.kext related stuff on 4k 5k Mac Definition and can be fixed with a simple upgrade of the fixing kext.
So support is basically there, think Navi (5700(XT)) will soon be working and fully supported.

Have you tried all the ports on the card? WEG will enable them all generally but if its not working with your card try plugging into a different display port or use the HDMI.

Have you tried all the ports on the card? WEG will enable them all generally but if its not working with your card try plugging into a different display port or use the HDMI.
Thanks i'll give that a try!

Say something about your attempt to work with RX 5700XT.
Is it successful?
If so, tell me how you did it.

I was not able to boot from 5700. Black screen issue.
But as it is recognized when booting from UHD 630, support is most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back