Contribute
Register

Will it work: silent yet high performance Z170 + 6700K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I've made this build. Is there anything I'm overlooking or I will have issues with for a hackintosh?

Extreme silence:

PC Case: Fractal Design R5 Blackout (silent and sturdy, with dampening)
Case Fans: 3x Noctua NF-A14 PWM with low-noise adapter (optimum airflow vs noise, near silent on idle and light work)
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D15 (super silent and will fit, did research)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W P2 (almost inaudabile and 94% efficiency for this system that peaks around 450 Watt)

High performance:

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (light overlock CPU 4-4.2 GHz to 4.7 GHz, support for NVMe and M.2)
CPU: Intel 6700k (quad core, 4 GHz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 4x16 64 GB Total 2666 MHZ (auto overlock, not dependent on BIOS for that)
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970 DC2 OC 4GB (very fast but dead silent for light work and idle)

Fast storage:

Boot drive: Samsung Pro 950 512 GB NVME (should work????? piker patch + kext on efi boot drive??)
Extra storage: Samsung 850 Pro sata 600 1 TB

I am aiming for a geekbench score of around 20000-21000. I've read people report good results with Maximus VIII hero and 6700K. I've read that the Nvidia web drivers should fully work with the GTX 970. Only fingers crossed if the tips and tricks really work to boot and run from Samsung Pro 950 with OS X 10.11/10.12..

Thanks!

If you want to overclock to 4.7GHz, you may want to consider skipping the low noise adaptors on the Noctua fans. Under normal usage, you most probably won't be able to hear them anyway.

If you want to overclock to 4.7GHz, you may want to consider skipping the low noise adaptors on the Noctua fans. Under normal usage, you most probably won't be able to hear them anyway.

Thanks! Do you think with low noise adapter the noctuas don't cool enough? Sorry for all these questions!

I think they lower the RPM slightly. But I honestly don't think there's any need for them. Noctuas are extremely quiet without them.

If you leave your fans under PWM control, there is really no need for the LNA. Just adjust the PWM curve to your needs.
I have 3 Noctua in my build and at idle the only fan I hear is the one built into the power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back