Register

Will It, Won't It — 7950X & Asus X670E-F gaming Wifi

Will It, Won't It?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you'll want to see this...

Things are evolving fast… Now just a boot argument:

Has a Pandoras Box been opened?. CaseySJ's well documented posts during testing (I'm a visual learner), has also resulted in a MSI 570 board being tosh'd with a screenshot to prove it. I read a note is being composed to send to the OpenCore guys.

Has a Pandoras Box been opened?
Rather a problem solved with AMD platform because MSI X570 boards already had issues with PCIe devices not being properly initialised, and @CaseySJ serendipitously fixed it with his work on X670.
So one back in the box. "Garbled audio" and "no VT-d" remain outstanding.

I read a note is being composed to send to the OpenCore guys.
The pull request for the patches may well be withdrawn if testing confirms that boot argument 'pci=0x8000000' solves the issue.

The pull request for the patches may well be withdrawn if testing confirms that boot argument 'pci=0x8000000' solves the issue.
It's strange, to me the word 'boot argument' doesn't really justify the work and drive that CaseySJ put in!. If confirmed, adding 'pci=0x8000000' to your EFI is a simple procedure, but it doesn't explain everything that's happened behind the scenes to reach that point.

It's strange, to me the word 'boot argument' doesn't really justify the work and drive that CaseySJ put in!
Why? Do you think that kernel patches would be some more dignified result to show for CaseySJ's work?
Computer history teaches us that lines of code are NOT a good metric to assess a programmer's work:

Why? Do you think that kernel patches would be some more dignified result to show for CaseySJ's work?
Computer history teaches us that lines of code are NOT a good metric to assess a programmer's work:
Not at all!, I get restaurants started so coding isn’t my thing. But to a layman like me who doesn’t really understand code, the amount of testing that CaseySJ put in and just the sheer doggedness of solving a problem such as AM5 and to distill it down to a boot-arg is quite astonishing to me, but what would I know!.

Not at all!, I get restaurants started so coding isn’t my thing. But to a layman like me who doesn’t really understand code, the amount of testing that CaseySJ put in and just the sheer doggedness of solving a problem such as AM5 and to distill it down to a boot-arg is quite astonishing to me, but what would I know!.
A kernel patch shows a unique discovery being made. A boot argument does not. You are right that a boot argument hides the work that went into figuring it out.

But that’s okay! We know. :)

Seems our Method 3 kernel patch may be even better than the boot argument. Hence we're going to add it to the amd-osx patch list on GitHub.
  • Method 3 patch allows 8-bit extended tag fields (ETFs) to be enabled, and only disables 10-bit ETFs.
  • Boot Argument disables both 8-bit and 10-bit ETFs.

Audio stuttering problem on AM5 platform with Zen 4 has just been solved by @Shaneee!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back