Contribute
Register

Will Installing Grub to Clover EFI Partition Overwrite Clover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G1
CPU
i7-4770K/Q87
Graphics
Quadro K2200
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Trying to wrap my mind around EFI partitions and dual-boot UEFI installs. Installed El Capitan with Clover on an SSD without incident. Now I'd like to install Ubuntu (UEFI version) as a dual-boot on the same SSD. Q: If I let Ubuntu installer write its grub to the EFI partition, will it overwrite Clover, or will it just add a folder of Ubuntu executables to the partition (in which case It'd be be able to boot Ubuntu via the Clover boot menu without any problem)? With Legacy, I simply installed grub to /root of the Ubuntu partition, and Chameleon/Chimera would just hand off the boot command, booting Ubuntu without incident. This doesn't seem to be the case now with Clover and UEFI-only installations on gpt/GUID drives. Seems as though I now need to install grub to the same EFI partition as Clover, but I'm afraid to do this, as I'm thinking that grub will overwrite Clover (like it did in the old days with Legacy). Is this the case?

So you should end up with both Clover and Ubuntu files on the EFI partition.

However, you may end up configured to boot directly to the Ubuntu boot loader, which is unaware of Grub. In other words, effectively Ubuntu-only.

Then you can fix that with a command like this, run from Ubuntu:
Code:
sudo efibootmgr --create --gpt --disk /dev/sda --part 1 --label "Clover" --loader "\\EFI\\BOOT\\BOOTX64.efi"

However, you may end up configured to boot directly to the Ubuntu boot loader, which is unaware of Grub. In other words, effectively Ubuntu-only.

Code:
sudo efibootmgr --create --gpt --disk /dev/sda --part 1 --label "Clover" --loader "\\EFI\\BOOT\\BOOTX64.efi"

I did this as suggested, and it fixed a boot issue that I was having. Unfortunately, I can now only boot into safe mode. Before entering this command, I was able to fully boot into Mac when I had a Unibeast thumb drive installed. Can you tell me what may have caused me to only be able to boot into safe mode?

Edit: I found this thread after posting this: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/mint-18-3-install-killed-clover.250190/

Code:

I was able to fix my booting issue. I documented that in https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/mint-18-3-install-killed-clover-solved.250190/
You may want to change the code above, as it did not enable me to boot into clover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back