Contribute
Register

Will I have an easy Sierra install with a H270N-Wifi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there,

I am going for a Gigabyte H270N-Wifi motherboard, 7700K CPU and a GTX 1070 ITX graphics card. While I have some hackintosh experience I am worried about a complicated install. In this thread the thread starter uses that very board but the install process is soooo complicated. Why is this is not more "fire & forget" for dummies like me? All this Clover patching? And looking at how he patches the USB stick with Clover I am pretty sure there are some things missing there ...

Question: Should I just go for the High Sierra beta? Would that be easier?

Hi there,

I am going for a Gigabyte H270N-Wifi motherboard, 7700K CPU and a GTX 1070 ITX graphics card. While I have some hackintosh experience I am worried about a complicated install. In this thread the thread starter uses that very board but the install process is soooo complicated. Why is this is not more "fire & forget" for dummies like me? All this Clover patching? And looking at how he patches the USB stick with Clover I am pretty sure there are some things missing there ...

Question: Should I just go for the High Sierra beta? Would that be easier?

No, the High Sierra beta would require a lot more extra effort, because the installation tools don't yet fully support it.

In my opinion, the install guide you linked to is extremely well-written - I haven't seen very many builds that well-documented! Since you already have some Hackintosh experience, if you follow the guide carefully I don't think it will be as difficult as you think.

Hm, well. What about the M2 slot on the H270N-Wifi? As far as I remember macOS/Hackintoshes always had a bit of a problem with M2 boot discs, right? That's fine by me. What happens if I install Windows 10 on the M2 and then macOS Sierra on a standard S-ATA SSD? Can macOS "ignore" the M2?

On a more general note, aren't dual boot Win/macOS systems always a bit problematic, thanks to conflicting BIOS settings? Maybe not so much on the H270 since USB2 is gone, so the handoffs are gone as a source of conflict. Yet there is the "other OS" setting for example. Couldn't that setting (and others) be a source of conflict?

Hm, well. What about the M2 slot on the H270N-Wifi? As far as I remember macOS/Hackintoshes always had a bit of a problem with M2 boot discs, right? That's fine by me. What happens if I install Windows 10 on the M2 and then macOS Sierra on a standard S-ATA SSD? Can macOS "ignore" the M2?

On a more general note, aren't dual boot Win/macOS systems always a bit problematic, thanks to conflicting BIOS settings? Maybe not so much on the H270 since USB2 is gone, so the handoffs are gone as a source of conflict. Yet there is the "other OS" setting for example. Couldn't that setting (and others) be a source of conflict?

If your M.2 SSD supports the SATA interface, then it will be treated like any other SATA drives and there should be no difficulty installing and running MacOS from it.

The problem is when the M.2 SSD is of the newer type called NVMe. MacOS Sierra currently does not support using third party NVMe SSDs and hacks are necessary. The next version of MacOS, High Sierra, may improve on the same situation as it may have support for third party NVMe SSDs (whether this is really so, we will have to wait until after High Sierra is released).

Yes, I believe you should be able to run Windows 10 from a M.2 SSD (whether it is SATA or NVMe) and MacOS from a normal SATA drive on the same system. But as you say, I also think conflicting BIOS settings can be a problem. Personally I just install MacOS on my hackintosh since I have other Windows systems, to avoid any such potential problems.

Hm, well. <snip> Can macOS "ignore" the M2?
yes, I have one set up this way, and it doesn't even see the M.2 drive NOR tell me I've inserted an unformated device or whatever.

On a more general note, aren't dual boot Win/macOS systems always a bit problematic,<snip>

I have one going now with win10 and sierra, it's great, don't even hesitate, it works fine on both sides. make mac os your autoboot, and use clover or f12 to get into windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back