Contribute
Register

Will Apple Phase out OS X?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It won't be killed off. It will evolve into something between the traditional desktop OS and the mobile OS because that is where the technology is headed.

Windows is moving in this direction and so are Linux desktop environments.

After thinking about it, my opinion is this guy is exaggerating. I do anticipate an iOS device sitting somewhere between the MBA and an iPad. It might look like a souped up iPad with a wireless keyboard/trackpad option. Additionally, Apple will put more emphasis on software distribution through the app store. They have fired the first shot over the bow with the Lion as a download only announcement. Next will be Apples other applications. Apple will pressure developers to go to exclusive app store distribution, but I believe the Mac will remain open.

That's the great thing about a hackintosh, if apple does ever screw us over once our software is upgraded and becomes a windows exclusive update that we need we can transition of we want. We all know that OS x is going hybrid which is cool because there are tons of iOS apps that would work with clicking and would be cool to have on the desktop as well. I use OS X for pro tools so unless apple screws up where a 64 bit version becomes only available to windows I have no reason to worry.

Haven't read the article yet, but my impression is that we're moving more towards a computer system in the philosophy of the one in Minority Report.

A modular, networked (among our nodes) system. If you have multiple devices, they'll all be intertwined. Processing power can be shared across them all (see: sony cell processors for an idea), as can information, environments, and input methods. Even Google Chrome (the browser) has some very, very basic version of this with browser syncing and Chrome-to-Phone. It's kluge-y and clunky, but it'll only get smoother. Flick a page/document/whatever from your ipad to your desktop when you walk into the house. Use your phone/pad as an input device/monitor for your main system. Spread video rendering across all your nodes (desktop, phone, laptop, ipad... toaster/refrigerator... whatever).

As OS X and iOS merge, this all becomes built-in. You may still have different interfaces for different nodes, but they'll be potentially interchangeable. Just like popping in and out of full screen. Or having states and versions saved. Or having more stuff on servers or talking between your systems at a distance (even if you have local copies, or local media that you don't keep off site).

In the end, I don't think this is a dumbing-down sort of simplification. I think it's a greater-level-of-sophistication sort of simplification. It looks simpler because it's more sophisticated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back