Contribute
Register

wildwillow's Dual Boot Skylake Build : Asus Z170 Deluxe - i5-6600K - GTX970 SSC - 32GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey wildwillow, I am totally with you on this. Sorry for bothering you with this, I was just curious which method you chose and why.
Hey phramenma,
No need to apologise, I can't offer you the support you need with iMessage variables and would have to re-read the guide myself, then I would end up being the middle man between the iMessage thread and you. No doubt the information would end up more of a Chinese whisper.

Does the Toslink optical connection work?.....

Does the USB-C connection work?.....

What is your Nova/Geekbench score?

Are you using Raid-0 with the SSD's ?....

Can you post a .zip file with all the Kext's you used and your EFI folder?

Apologies for the late reply. Audio works through the Line out selection in System Preferences/Sound/Outputs when connected to the Black 3.5mm jack on the motherboard, I'd guarantee optical out will work. I've used this on 2 of my systems but currently has no way of testing on here. My MSI Z97 Gaming 7 has the same audio codec 1150, same audio ID and is woking perfectly through a Sound Bar via optical out. USB-C port is working, tested with a USB type C device. Geekbench score has been added to Benchmarks in Post#1. Not using raid on the SSD's as I'm booting 2 operating systems on separate drives.

You can download the most up to date kexts I've used in Post#1. The links are provided and ensures that you get the latest version. EFI folder has been added to Post#1, removed audio patches from config.plist as these will be added when you install audio and it automatically downloads/installs the kext. EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.11 contains FakeSMC.kext and IntelMausiEthernet.kext.

Could you please (anyone who has time) write step by step instruction how to enable 5G wifi and Bluetooth. I simply don't have time to research and understand toledo's guide. I have two kinds and one just been born, no time to sleep. Would someone be so kind and write short guide? Thank you very much in advance!

Hi Wildwillow. I am seriously thinking about replicating your build. Just two quick questions:

1- Using 10.11.4, changes anything on your guide (other than being able to use the 530 integrated graphics)?

2-From another thread (http://www.tonymacx86.com/hardware-...cards-com-works-gigabyte-gaming-g1-m-2-a.html) I see you have installed the MAC OS onto a NVME drive, and it boots. Is it worth the trouble over the AHCI one?. If so, could you please detail the steps in adding the NVME driver to the el capitan USB installation flash disk so that the installation software "sees" the NVME drive?.

Hi Wildwillow. I am seriously thinking about replicating your build. Just two quick questions:

1- Using 10.11.4, changes anything on your guide (other than being able to use the 530 integrated graphics)?

Hi fjf,

USB installer created with UniBeast and OS X 10.11.4 I've reached the 10.11.4 OS X installer, haven't installed using 10.11.4 but I don't see it being a problem at this stage. I will confirm more at the weekend when I have some more time to swap over to a test drive.

2-From another thread (http://www.tonymacx86.com/hardware-...cards-com-works-gigabyte-gaming-g1-m-2-a.html) I see you have installed the MAC OS onto a NVME drive, and it boots. Is it worth the trouble over the AHCI one?. If so, could you please detail the steps in adding the NVME driver to the el capitan USB installation flash disk so that the installation software "sees" the NVME drive?.
I'd suggest at this time going for the AHCI version of the drive. Still super quick and supported in OS X. The NVMe drive works but for me wasn't as stable as I'd like it to be using a 3rd party driver. Thats why it now has Windows 10 installed on it and OS X on the AHCI version with the complementary Asus PCIe M.2 adapter card.

And another question, when you can answer: how is the BIOS fan control on your Asus Z170 Deluxe?. Can the case fans be stopped at low temps and the be ramped up when the computer gets hot?. I've read users of asus mobos complaining that the BIOS fan control does not work well (the settings do not get saved, random resets etc). I am planning on using a silverstone FT05 case and those two big 180mm fans need a good controller. That's the reason I want to use Asus instead of gigabyte.

Using 10.11.4, changes anything on your guide (other than being able to use the 530 integrated graphics)?
I've successfully installed using UniBeast and 10.11.4. Depending on the case of your choice, it may have USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports. Suggest installing using the USB2.0 ports. If your case only has USB3.0 then RehabMans USBInjectAll.kext will allow the installation to proceed (tested that too).

And another question, when you can answer: how is the BIOS fan control on your Asus Z170 Deluxe?. Can the case fans be stopped at low temps and the be ramped up when the computer gets hot?. I've read users of asus mobos complaining that the BIOS fan control does not work well (the settings do not get saved, random resets etc). I am planning on using a silverstone FT05 case and those two big 180mm fans need a good controller. That's the reason I want to use Asus instead of gigabyte.

I've set the Q-Fan Control to manual and stress testing the system increases the fan speeds when more heat is generated. I've restarted a few times and entered the BIOS and manual settings have remained to my personal adjustments.

Thanks, wildwillow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back