Contribute
Register

wildwillow's Dual Boot Skylake Build : Asus Z170 Deluxe - i5-6600K - GTX970 SSC - 32GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is great news. DVMT should have sorted out any issues you had. In your BIOS navigate to
Boot > CSM (Compatibility Support Module) Launch CSM > Set to Disabled.
This should allow you boot with IGFX set to primary and have the boot display shown on your GTX980.
If you still have a black screen at the desktop. Run the AGDPFix.
The difference in performance using HD530 combined with my GTX970 are good, results post #29

I'll edit the CSM in a few minutes, but right now testing out the stability of the Hackintosh with my own EFI again. Yesterday I got a reboot after a few minutes, 2 minutes after i started an export in final cut pro x while using my own EFI folder. Will do a few more stability tests now and see if its stable. Still using my own EFI folder.

The system seems to be stable now, but it doesn't look like the Quick Sync feature of the iGPU is working, at least not in Final Cut Pro X. Here are a few stats for a 1080p 30fps video with 7 minutes 30 seconds long.

Hackintosh with GTX 980 Ti: 7min 50secs
Hackintosh with iGPU: 7min 27secs
MacBook Pro (early 2013): 2min 50secs

The specs on MacBook can be found here: https://support.apple.com/kb/sp669?locale=en_US
I got the 2.7GHz quad-core, 16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L onboard memory

As you can see the iGPU doesn't really seem to help and quick sync not being used on my Hackintosh. Even for a CPU only render, 7min seems like a long time to export a 7min 1080p 30 fps video. Even Premiere is faster than that.
iStat Menus 5 showed 50% of CPU being used both for the Hackintosh and the MacBook Pro.

ABOUT THE CSM
I then switched the CSM to Disabled, and I got my monitors to work while they are plugged into my 980. But then I checked About This Mac, and I saw the 980 being used instead of the iGPU. So I went back into the BIOS and enabled the CSM again. My 1440p monitor was plugged into the motherboard, while my 1080p monitor was plugged into the 980. This time, for some strange reason, the Hackintosh showed up on both of my monitors AND showing the iGPU being used when I checked About This Mac.

BUT after a few minutes, my 1440p monitor went black again, just like the other times I have mentioned in this thread. But for some reason, my 1080p monitor which is on the 980, still works. So it doesn't seem like the system is rebooting like I previously thought, it's only the 1440p monitor going black. There is one way to make the 1440p monitor work again and that's if I use "Mirror Displays" from the 1080p monitor. As soon as I turn the mirror off, my 1440p monitor goes black again. So it only works with mirror displays on.

So that's my latest update. 1440p monitor going black, and the iGPU not using quick sync for Final Cut.

Last edited:
I'm not sure as to why your monitor is going black. Really you don't need to plugged into the HD530 for software to make use of the onboard graphics. Have you enabled native power management for your i7-6700K.
Also could make a copy of IOReg and attach it here. App and how to is at the bottom of Post 1 here
[Guide] How to Make a Copy of IOReg | tonymacx86.com

I'm not sure as to why your monitor is going black. Really you don't need to plugged into the HD530 for software to make use of the onboard graphics. Have you enabled native power management for your i7-6700K.
Also could make a copy of IOReg and attach it here. App and how to is at the bottom of Post 1 here
[Guide] How to Make a Copy of IOReg | tonymacx86.com

I attached the IOReg now. Not sure if I have set up power management before, but I did a test now using the AppleintelInfo.kext from tonymacx86's thread and I got this in the bottom of my terminal:

CPU Ratio Info:

------------------------------------

CPU Low Frequency Mode.............: 800 MHz

CPU Maximum non-Turbo Frequency....: 4000 MHz

CPU Maximum Turbo Frequency........: 4300 MHz

IGPU Info:

------------------------------------

IGPU Current Frequency.............: 0 MHz

IGPU Minimum Frequency.............: 350 MHz

IGPU Maximum Non-Turbo Frequency...: 350 MHz

IGPU Maximum Turbo Frequency.......: 1150 MHz

IGPU Maximum limit.................: 1200 MHz

CPU P-States [ 13 28 (41) ] iGPU P-States [ ]

CPU C3-Cores [ 1 2 3 5 ]

CPU C6-Cores [ 0 1 2 4 5 7 ]

CPU C3-Cores [ 1 2 3 5 6 ]

CPU C6-Cores [ 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ]

CPU P-States [ (13) 17 28 41 ] iGPU P-States [ ]

CPU C3-Cores [ 1 2 3 5 6 7 ]

CPU P-States [ (13) 17 24 28 41 ] iGPU P-States [ ]

CPU C3-Cores [ 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ]

CPU P-States [ (10) 13 17 22 24 28 41 ] iGPU P-States [ ]

CPU P-States [ (10) 13 14 17 22 24 28 41 ] iGPU P-States [ ]

bash-3.2#

I also turned CSM on again now again and so far no black screen. So right now I still have igpu enabled in BIOS, but final cut pro is still slow in exporting.

EDIT:
So I booted into windows 10 with CSM disabled, and just like the MacOS the monitor connected to the motherboard turned black after a few minutes. Maybe I have a faulty mobo? So the HDMI on the mobo is not working?

This wouldn't matter if somehow I can get the intel quick sync to work with final cut pro while my monitors being connected to my 980.

Attachments

• iMac.ioreg
    8.3 MB · Views: 123
Last edited:
So I booted into windows 10 with CSM disabled, and just like the MacOS the monitor connected to the motherboard turned black after a few minutes. Maybe I have a faulty mobo? So the HDMI on the mobo is not working?
I wouldn't rule out other factors yet, it could possibly be a faulty/cheap HDMI cable. It would be worth trying another cable to see if the problem persists.

This wouldn't matter if somehow I can get the intel quick sync to work with final cut pro while my monitors being connected to my 980.
Your IOReg shows no native power management. ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin is loading, this is clear in your results window above. You need to get X86PlatformPlugin to load. Can be achieved with a power management SSDT.
Go to [Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI at the bottom of post #1, download SSDT-i7-6700K.aml.
Mount your EFI partition, navigate to EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched and place the SSDT in that folder (drag and drop). Restart, reply with IOReg. You could also try exporting your movie for faster results in FCPX.

I wouldn't rule out other factors yet, it could possibly be a faulty/cheap HDMI cable. It would be worth trying another cable to see if the problem persists.

I tried another HDMI and it was the same problem. I didn't expect a faulty HDMI cable since the same cable works when connected to the 980. But something strange happened today.

When I woke up today and started the PC, The screen would go black after the apple logo was loading at 50%. I had the exact same settings as yesterday, CSM off and everything. But now the only way I can make the PC boot with the current settings is if I only plug in the DVI>HDMI 1080p monitor to the 980.
I can't connect my 1440p hdmi monitor until a few seconds after boot, as in as soon as I see the bios logo on my 1080p monitor, then I can connect my 1440p monitor. Then everything works perfectly. Strange how it is different today than yesterday.

Your IOReg shows no native power management. ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin is loading, this is clear in your results window above. You need to get X86PlatformPlugin to load. Can be achieved with a power management SSDT.
Go to [Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI at the bottom of post #1, download SSDT-i7-6700K.aml.
Mount your EFI partition, navigate to EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched and place the SSDT in that folder (drag and drop). Restart, reply with IOReg. You could also try exporting your movie for faster results in FCPX.

After doing this, FCPX is still slow like before. I attached the new IOReg.

Attachments

• iMac.ioreg
    8.1 MB · Views: 121
I tried another HDMI and it was the same problem. I didn't expect a faulty HDMI cable since the same cable works when connected to the 980. But something strange happened today.
It was worth eliminating the cable from causing a problem.
When I woke up today and started the PC, The screen would go black after the apple logo was loading at 50%. I had the exact same settings as yesterday, CSM off and everything. But now the only way I can make the PC boot with the current settings is if I only plug in the DVI>HDMI 1080p monitor to the 980.
I can't connect my 1440p hdmi monitor until a few seconds after boot, as in as soon as I see the bios logo on my 1080p monitor, then I can connect my 1440p monitor. Then everything works perfectly. Strange how it is different today than yesterday.
For now since the method of enabling Intel HD530 hasn't improved export times, suggest enabling CSM and set PEG as first boot priority and get your system stable.

After doing this, FCPX is still slow like before. I attached the new IOReg.
CPU and IGPU Power management has been enabled using the correct SSDT seen from your IOReg.
It would be worth considering starting a new thread in the Graphics support forum with regards to Intel Quick Sync and slow export times in FCPX. Someone may have already solved it. There are a few threads to look through on this topic already. Just a thought.

It was worth eliminating the cable from causing a problem.

For now since the method of enabling Intel HD530 hasn't improved export times, suggest enabling CSM and set PEG as first boot priority and get your system stable.

CPU and IGPU Power management has been enabled using the correct SSDT seen from your IOReg.
It would be worth considering starting a new thread in the Graphics support forum with regards to Intel Quick Sync and slow export times in FCPX. Someone may have already solved it. There are a few threads to look through on this topic already. Just a thought.

I'll enable CSM again and disable multi-monitor again so I don't have to wait with connecting my 1440p monitor. I'll make a new thread on the Graphics forum and hopefully find a solution. Once again I just want to say thank you so much for all the help! I really really appreciate it!

Smooth update to 10.12.3, no issues at all. The Nvidia Web Drivers have now been updated. Remember if you're using an iMac17,1 system definition you'll need to apply the black screen fix. Other than that no problems.

For anyone interested I bought the Asus ThunderboltEX 3 PCIe card, received it yesterday and have it working in macOS from my GTX970 attached via "mDP in" to the PCIe card and connected via Thunderbolt 3 cable to my USB-C monitor.
I posted some info here where beelzebozo began testing : Post#25.

Hi,
Before of upgrade BIOS to version of 3007 (BIOS 1801), my system was work flawless. But now, after boot the system is freezing. I've shared Config below.

My system;
  • Asus Z170 Deluxe
  • i7 6700K
  • 32 GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GTX 680
  • OS= Sierra 10.12.3

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.4 KB · Views: 226
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back