CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Hi all!

I've tried installing on my old Acer laptop in the past, but never wanted to give up my discrete graphics, so never stuck with macOS on it before.
My new laptop has no discrete graphics, so I thought macOS could be an option. However, I'm sort of stuck with my research on hardware.

My laptop model is HP Pavilion 14-ce0501na, sporting an intel i5-8250U CPU sitting on a 6th gen Intel Core chipset, 8GB of DDR4 and a 14" FHD IPS display. I've got an m.2 SATA drive and a separate SATA connection, so I intend to dual-boot macOS and Windows 10.

I understand that HP whitelists their recommended wifi chips into the BIOS and so not every chip is compatible.
The options in the service guide of my machine are:
Intel Dual-band (not supported AFAIK)
RTL8723DE
RTL78822BE
RTL8821CE (installed)

From what I gather, none of these options are currently supported - so I started looking for a replacement, however, most of the BRCM chips I see online specifically point out they are not compatible with HP laptops - so not quite sure if I should be ordering them ....

Could anyone point me in the direction to get this sorted please? I've got a little experience with the rest of the install so I reckon I'd be fine installing so long as I'm a bit more confident that I've got the hardware side ready.

Many thanks to all on the forum for the vast repository of information!

happy hacking!
littlegreen

Hi all!

I've tried installing on my old Acer laptop in the past, but never wanted to give up my discrete graphics, so never stuck with macOS on it before.
My new laptop has no discrete graphics, so I thought macOS could be an option. However, I'm sort of stuck with my research on hardware.

My laptop model is HP Pavilion 14-ce0501na, sporting an intel i5-8250U CPU sitting on a 6th gen Intel Core chipset, 8GB of DDR4 and a 14" FHD IPS display. I've got an m.2 SATA drive and a separate SATA connection, so I intend to dual-boot macOS and Windows 10.

I understand that HP whitelists their recommended wifi chips into the BIOS and so not every chip is compatible.
The options in the service guide of my machine are:
Intel Dual-band (not supported AFAIK)
RTL8723DE
RTL78822BE
RTL8821CE (installed)

From what I gather, none of these options are currently supported - so I started looking for a replacement, however, most of the BRCM chips I see online specifically point out they are not compatible with HP laptops - so not quite sure if I should be ordering them ....

Could anyone point me in the direction to get this sorted please? I've got a little experience with the rest of the install so I reckon I'd be fine installing so long as I'm a bit more confident that I've got the hardware side ready.

Many thanks to all on the forum for the vast repository of information!

happy hacking!
littlegreen

Is it a m.2 ngff? Or pci half mini?

It's a m.2 2230 form factor.
Here's an accurate picture:
s-l640.jpg

It's a m.2 2230 form factor.
Here's an accurate picture:
s-l640.jpg

Looks like you may have to mid the bios? Google hp whitelist bios mod.

If/after you do the DW1560 is a good ac WiFi with Bluetooth card. $60.

I have a few HP Probook g1 laptops that don’t need any bios mods.

You may look into USB WiFi adapters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back